DOT 3, 4, 4+, Super 4, or 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: iExcel
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I had been using DOT 3 in my 2000 E430 for more than 10 years without any problem. The recommended was DOT 4 just like all other German vehicles.

Interesting. How about Power Steering Fluid? Did you use MB Fluid or just regular stuff ?

I used Pennzoil Power Steering Fluid, I siphon-refill the reservoir 3-4 times in several days. I do it about once every 4-5 years. Everything in power steering system is good, no noise.

The reason I used DOT 3 brake fluid in E430 was I never drove the car faster than 110-120 miles for more than few minutes then brake hard, the car was almost never had to brake hard(from 70-80 MPH) more than 2-3 times in a row. No need for higher temp of DOT 4.
So you just use regular PS fluid for the MB. At least, it proves that, in your case, a regular PS fluid works just fine. Thanks for the real world evidence and I agree with your reasoning behind using DOT 3 in your application.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
What power steering fluid does your Volvo require? If it specs Pentosin CHF 11S, that's the only thing I would use.

If your car requires Dot 4+, I suspect they mean Dot 4 LV, and that's the only thing I would use.

Seems strange to try to save ~$10 on safety items.
The owners manual calls for a Power steering fluid WSS M2C204-A2 or equivalent product. According to the Pentosin web site, Volvo (2002 on) is recommended to use CHF 202. Interestingly, the Pentosin CHF 202 fluid doesn't have WSS M2C204-A2 on its spec sheet. I guess it's the equivalent.
crazy.gif

Also, according to Pentosin, Volvo (all years) should use their SUPER DOT4 fluid, not the LV fluid.

FWIW, here are the links from Pentosin.

Pentosin PS Fluids
Pentosin Brake Fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back