Don't forget to change your fuel filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was on one of my customer's pieces of equipment. A fuel filter off a Case IH 265. Not sure how long its been on for but its rough for what it is. It only has 1446 engine hours but its starting to show its age as its about 30 years old. Cooling system was just as sludgy, green IAT turned into a green/blue hue, almost like Honda Type 2.

Qo5c30L.jpg

uY9qAo7.jpg

UdqC2hx.jpg

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Makes you wonder about the in-tank lifetime fuel filters.

I just had mine replaced because the tank was coming down for another issue. I asked to see it and what looked like nothing more than a "sock" was reasonably clean at 145k. So now I'm wondering about the fuel injectors.

After changing the filter did you notice any changes when starting up the engine?

so, whats in your gas tank,,,less us not be so naive as to think that the tank is shiny and spotless...

Originally Posted By: Kira
Tractors live and breathe outside so crud in the fuel is all but inevitable.

Cars also live and breathe outside. Unless you drive your vehicle indoors I suppose.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
ITS A DIESEL! Tractor.

Of course you're supposed to change their fuel filters.
This has no applicability to a modern day gas engine'd car motor.

Yep and looks like some bacteria growth or other diesel only malady.

I have seen/used tractors and other machinery in an agricultural setting. Massive amounts of dust and dirt, fueling with open jerry cans, dirty field repairs. Its not pretty.

30 years of use, agricultural, filling from less than stellar tanks are all contributors to that filter's appearance.

No surprise here.

12.gif

The FAA has approved gas station pump gas for certain light aircraft. The fuel filter in one of my Camrys has gone 350,000 miles with no problems. Toyota dealers caution that trying to get a filter off can twist and break the fuel line, creating an expensive repair. Unless your OBD II is showing a lean fuel trim and you can't find another reason don't touch the fuel filter under the hood.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back