Don't buy discounted GIFT cards online

Many years back I found cabelas gift cards on a website that sold gift cards that people put up for sale.

I bought 100$ of cabelas for $90
my stingy gullible stupid chunky behind thought it was as smart move to SAVE $10.
Then I bought some ammo off cabelas website payed with that GIFT card and part with CC.

Fast forward a few months, I get a letter in the mail from cabelas that I committed some sort of payment fraud and had some strong language to cough up the money asap.
I called cabelas right away and cried like a 2 year old and explained and resolved the issue.

Last week I was youtubing and watched this video below.

The guy in the video BOUGHT (lowes or HD??) gift cards online and then bought a power washer with it.

The smart POLICE raided his house and picked him up. The guy lost his job, his wife gave birth in shackles and for WHAT you might ask?

ALL FOR $10 to $30 savings probably.

So next time you are tempted to buy DISCOUNTED gift cards online, walk, run, they are probably ALL STOLEN.

Watch the guys story here

Wow!!!

I usually buy discounted GC from Sam's Club, hopefully, I am not in trouble.

Did you recall which vendor did you buy that discounted GC from?

Was at a bar/restaurant last night and they do a promo for 3 days each year before Thanksgiving. Spend $75 that day, buy any amount gift card for 50% off. Multiple people were buying $3,000+ in gift cards for half off. They did $75,000 in gift card sales the day before. Not a bad deal at all if you had a company party there or were a frequent diner there. It was packed! $10 off, not worth the hassle for me, especially online.

Southwest Airlines is selling $500 gift cards for $449 right now, limit 5.

Buy a gift card direct from the retailer, no problems with discounts.

Buy a gift card from a private party and all bets are off... MIL was just scammed out of $500 and the party involved had her purchase gift cards, and give them the info on the cards. Shortly after when family became involved, the cards were reported (and she is still out the money), but are flagged. Another scam is shoplifting and exchanging for gift cards, then selling them for a discount. Turns the shoplifting into cold hard cash...

One of those if it seems to be too good to be true, it probably is type of deals...

Reminds me that I need to buy a gift card for the golf course. 20% bonus this week.

You can buy them directly from your credit card company online.
Example, just paid $135 for a $150 Lowe’s Card can also be used at other retailers I’m not interested in. Even sent it UPS Red.

We do also buy restaurant cards with 20% off at places like Sam’s Club

I agree though I would stay away from no name places to purchase. Your safe taking up credit card offers of discount gift cards

What's wrong with cold, hard cash? Can use it anywhere.
I used to buy things with cash and I can honestly say I have no clue when the last time I have used cash, years?
One exception is I like to tip waiters and waitresses with cash.

For me personally it just doesn’t make sense it would cost me too much money to use cash.
My credit card companies give me 2 to 5% off everything I buy in life, sometimes up to 10% and this year alone my wife and I got $800 (eight hundred) in bonu cash plus all the other percentages I just mentioned.

This year was an extraordinary year in cash back. Easily got over $2000 and even though we are pretty well set in life we use it to buy fun stuff… admittedly I’m kind of running out of stuff to buy so it’s really adding up now and that’s ok.

I've heard that an experienced thief can dismantle a snowblower and flush it all down the toilet in less than a minute, even less if his wife helps out.

So next time you are tempted to buy DISCOUNTED gift cards online, walk, run, they are probably ALL STOLEN.
I won't buy them but after Christmas, I frequently see people selling gift cards on places like FB. They get a $50 gift card from someone but need the case more than "stuff", so they offer them for, say $40. I've seen people offer to meet at the store they're for and you can confirm the amount on the card. Now, if I wanted to be skeptical, I could say that they could have someone sitting at home on Walmart's website or Best Buy's website or wherever and they could use the card # as soon as the card + cash changes hand, wiping out the balance that was just confirmed.

It's not just gift card. You really have to understand why would someone sell you anything at a discount when they can sell it at market price. It can be stolen and it can also be a scam.

Back