Done with manual trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well lets see. Always had manual transmissions. Wife had 2 knees replaced. She has an auto now.

My vehicles - Ford Ranger - manual, '76 Corvette - manual.

I will say, without a doubt, that if I had to drive in big city rush hour traffic, I woul take an auto.

But, I don't have to drive to work. I'm 68 and retired!

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Wow you guys are something. I have nothing towards manuals they have their purposes.. just not mine on a daily basis. Truthfully why fret over which one is better? Go have a beer and watch something relaxing much more productive.
I don't drink beer, not much worth watching on T.V, so I would rather fret!!!
28.gif

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: jcwit
Originally Posted By: Steve S
I had to bring this post up!!! I Hate auto [censord] matic transmissions. If I were king of the USA the first thing I would do is ban them!

You wouldn't if you were over 65 with bad knees.

Bet you have trouble with your auto, right?
No problem I have been driving my dads 96 Toyota truck 58,000 miles and maintained like a 747 it runs great . The auto trans ruins a good truck. I really do not like autos I would rather take command and drive the car.

Driving your dads truck, well that explaines it. Wait till you have a few years on you and the body parts don't work like they used to, it happens to all of us, whether we want it to or not. Its a fact of life. But then what do I know, I've only been driving for 50 some years.
I am on the down hill of 57 years old. Nothing works like it used to and it is scareeeeeey what the future will surprise me with.

I'm on the down side of 67 years and you bet that the future can be scareeeeeeey. Please don't ask me how I know, but I can assure you that it is.

Originally Posted By: BlownF150
Won't help it certainly.

For the few manual transmission homers in here you might want to do a little brushing up on your history concerning the automotive transmission. There is a reason why manual transmissions have seen very little development in the last 50 years while automatics have made huge strides. In the end they'll be more efficient. Ferrari is dropping traditional manual transmissions, so is Lamborghini, and eventually so will Porsche in favor of DSG's. Especially with manufacturers moving towards smaller engines with turbochargers they are only going to look at sophisticated automatics and DSG's to get the most out of those engines.

....and nearly all these cars do not use torque converters or CVTs. They use manual gearboxes with electronic clutch shifters. Same thing, just faster.

Automatics with torque converters suck big time, unless you are in traffic. Ooooooh, so much work to have to shift and pay attention. Whoa get the smelling salts and a towel!

Last time I checked, most of the non-US world prefers manuals.

If I lived in a rural area, or could mostly avoid city driving, I wouldn't even consider an auto; particularly in the winter when a manual is a big asset.

When stop and go city traffic, along with the occasional traffic jam, is unavoidable, a manual starts to lose its fun factor sometimes and just becomes a PITA.

I find it equals out. Slight preference for a manual, but not the determining factor or a deal breaker when I'm used car shopping.

-Spyder

Manuals = a more fun driving experience, unless of course you get stuck in heavy traffic, then they absolutely suck....

When I get stuck in heavy traffic with a manual car, and my leg starts hurting, I don't blame the fact that I'm driving stick; I blame the traffic. Not sure why I'm different from so many other people on this point, but there it is.

I feel like this has made me more interested in what causes traffic jams, so that can do my part not only to avoid them but to prevent them for the folks behind me. Either way, I'm paying a LOT more attention than I would be if I were just going "gas-brake-gas-brake" like everyone else. I guess that's my way of turning a frown upside-down.

I've been driving only manual tranny vehicles for the last 40 years. I've also been lucky not to be stuck in a bumper to bumper commute every day. With the manual you have complete control of the vehicle. Plus with a 4 cylinder the manual tranny makes the car come alive compared to an auto tranny. The auto tranny has it's place and has improved greatly over time. But since I don't have to drive in b to b traffic I'll stick with a manual tranny for as long as my body allows me to. Just my
49.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
When I get stuck in heavy traffic with a manual car, and my leg starts hurting, I don't blame the fact that I'm driving stick; I blame the traffic. Not sure why I'm different from so many other people on this point, but there it is.

I feel like this has made me more interested in what causes traffic jams, so that can do my part not only to avoid them but to prevent them for the folks behind me. Either way, I'm paying a LOT more attention than I would be if I were just going "gas-brake-gas-brake" like everyone else. I guess that's my way of turning a frown upside-down.

I agree 100%. I don't understand those who moving their right foot from acccelerator to brake pedal and back again, over and over, is harder than pushing in the clutch pedal occasionally.

Also, if the traffic is moving slowly, that is what 1st gear is for. And if it's not moving at all, that's what neutral is for.

When stuck in slow stop and go traffic with my auto, I just treat it like a stick. Lock it in 1st gear, and let the Jeep cruise 5 - 8 mph, working with an accordion of space in front of me. Almost never have to touch the brakes, and rarely need to touch the gas.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
...Plus with a 4 cylinder the manual tranny makes the car come alive compared to an auto tranny...

So true. True of any engine choice but even more so with the lower power options. My wife and I have an '06 Accord EX-L with the 4 cylinder and stick shift, a rare combo, and that plain old family car is downright fun to drive. The shifter action is great, smooth clutch, and snappy throttle response.

I'm with d00df00d wrt driving in traffic. I live in the DC area and while my commute pattern permits me to avoid the worst of it, I still find myself in traffic pretty reguarly. Driving stick in traffic causes me to be much more attuned to what I'm doing. Traffic's never fun but it's no worse with a manual IMO.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp
My wife and I have an '06 Accord EX-L with the 4 cylinder and stick shift

It's sensible car buying decisions like this that give me hope for the future of cars in this country.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red

I don't understand those who moving their right foot from acccelerator to brake pedal and back again, over and over, is harder than pushing in the clutch pedal occasionally.

Also, if the traffic is moving slowly, that is what 1st gear is for. And if it's not moving at all, that's what neutral is for.

It really depends on the traffic. Stop and go traffic on an incline in a torqueless Civic with a stick is, for instance more work than it would be with an auto. Different gearing or a more torque would help too, of course, but doing 10-20 hill starts in the space of a mile isn't all that fun.

Also in some areas people have the annoying habit of cutting in if you leave so much as 3 car lengths between yourself and the car ahead of you. This makes it difficult to creep (again, depending on the car's gearing of course) which increases the PITA factor.

I don't think there's a simple answer. It depends on the car and the traffic conditions but driving an MT in traffic is, in fact, "more work" than driving an AT in traffic. I think this is what most people don't like.

For the record, I've only personally owned cars with 4 and 5 speed MTs and the only way I intend to change that is by eventually getting a 6 speed :) The only AT in our stable right now is in our Suburban.

Let em cut. Them's bad drivers. You want them in front so they can rear end the next car in line.

I prefer manuals in jams. More control and over time some learn the techniques to help dispel jams. Gas brakers with automatics maximize jam problems.

Originally Posted By: severach
Let em cut. Them's bad drivers. You want them in front so they can rear end the next car in line.

I wouldn't care if they cut, except they screw up my ability to creep along and not have to push in the clutch to slow below 4 mph or so :)

I you have less control with an automatic you shouldn't have a license...

I "grew up" on a manual, don't mind them, but love my auto. even for country driving.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
I you have less control with an automatic you shouldn't have a license...

What he means is that you can control your speed from 3 to 15 to 3mph again without touching the brakes. If everyone did this "stop and go" would become "steady but slow" traffic. But since 99% of autos have no engine braking and people are silly this doesn't happen...

For all of you out there worried all about your "control" with a manual, don't forget to do away with your cruise control, and your power breaks, and power steering, and lets return to a manual activated overdrive. In fact lets go back to hand window winders and locking doors with a key, Heck, just get a 1940's or '50's car, you'll have all the control you can handle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back