Donated blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in hospital earlier this evening to visit a friend and her husband, who just had their first baby. I stayed with them for about 20 minutes or so, then I went to see a few doctors I know (my father also works there).

As I was having a talk, an accident victim was rushed in and my friend had to rush out. The guy urgently needed blood, and it was my blood type (O-) that was required. Although I really cringe at the thought of a needle being pushed into my veins to suck out blood and the slight 'pain' associated with it, I went ahead. They went through the usual procedure, said it was ok to go ahead, then I just told them to do whatever they had to do, closed my eyes and patiently waited for them to finish, trying hard not to feel it and think of something else. I think it was about 500 ml or something, but I'm not sure...I just didn't want to know or hear the details, other than whether or not it would help the patient. They had me sit there for another half hour, pushing me to have a sandwich or two with a drink. Once the guy is in stable condition, I'll go and visit. Just hope I've managed to help him, even if I am not feeling too well.

Good job. There was a pint for pint program from Baskin Robins that rewards blood donor with free ice cream.

The oil company should do the same with engine oil, pint for gallon or something like that.

good! O- is the best fine old claret out there, i should know, I am O- too.

i try to donate 4 times a year. they feed you pretty well down here... they made me a milkshake when i was done and gave me some pie too. got home afterwards and wife wanted to know why i don't want dinner!

O+ and a regular donor here.

It hurts like [censored] for me as I'm a hard stick. I've had times where they'd stick me 3~4 times in EACH arm before they could get any blood. And this is after I've been hydrating myself for days prior to donating.

Congrats on being a stand-up guy. More people should donate.

I'm O-, too, so I'm officially welcoming you to the world of having your tel# on speed-dial at all your local blood banks.
wink.gif

Great job!

My girl friend and I have a standing appointment once every two months to give blood, its very fast and painless!

its a small way for me to give back

Good on ya for donating. I was a bit woozy the first time but since then it hasn't affected me much. I'm O- too... they WILL call looking for more. Trust me.

But... milkshakes? Pie? Gift certificates? All we get in Canada is a couple Oreos and a glass of juice. I'm getting ripped off!

Good for you for donating. My wife used to donate fairly often, but the last time she went something was quite up to the right number and they told her to come back at the next appointment. I've only given twice but both times it made me dizzy. Had a niece that was going to have back surgery back when the aids tainted blood was a concern. Told them that if she needed my blood she was more than welcome to it.

you guys realize if you are having scheduled surgery and there could be a possibility that you need a blood transfusion. you can setup an autologous blood transfusion where you donate your own blood for yourself. if it turns out, you don't need it for surgery, then the hospital keeps it of course.

I'm up to a gallon. I was once determined to be CMV negative, meaning that I've never been exposed to the cytomegalovirus. Now my donated blood gets a special tag to note that it can be used on infants.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
How long does blood last before it can no longer can be used ?

I was told 20 days, is that true ?
21.gif

Six weeks is the maximum shelf life of donated whole blood. Frozen plasma is good for one year.

O- semi-regular donor here. I donate blood at LifeSouth exclusively. I'm currently working on my 3rd gallon donated. I get a cheesy tee shirt each time I donate (good to wear while changine oil), and some restaurant coupons that I never use. LifeSouth calls me every time I'm eligible to donate (every 56? days), since O- is always needed.

I used to donate regularly when the blood drives were at one local school. I haven't done it in years. I think I was up to a couple of gallons.

Help me riddle this (my usual rant): How does a plasma outfit pay someone to show up while charging a competitive price for their product, while blood banks, getting a free product, manage to make it extremely expensive for the end user? I assume that the testing for each, in terms of suitability for use (HIV/AIDS/HEP, etc), are identical. The labor should be less.

I remember the first time that I donated blood. It was in the lounge of my dorm since the Red Cross set up there once every couple of months. As I was waiting for my turn, people who just finished donating were passing out walking to the snack table and while they were sitting there. I think it was three people. You could just imagine what was going through my head. Since then I've donated 7-8 times. Once it was an apheresis. They take double the amount of red cells or something and they don't call up for another donation as soon.

The blood bank here calls you on the day that you qualify for another donation.

I'm o+.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back