Dollar General Food

I just saw a news article about DG trying to build in (or near) Micanopy, FL (where Doc Hollywood was filmed). Apparently there was quite a bit of opposition, but I believe they were eventually approved.

I support business as a whole. I was pleased to see that Dollar General is in areas (DE and MD) diverse of the areas by me. IMHO there is nothing divisive of what Dollar General does, or sells to warrant any opposition. Let the market determine if they sink or swim. That is Americana, right?

The town (actually it's a village pop. 300 +/-) I live in has been trying for years to get a DG or a FD store. The elders have always voted it down, until 2 years ago. One of the towns people sold DG 4 acres. Man, the elders went APE (FECES) :poop:!
Little did the one little store that sold the best cuts of meat in a 2 Parish wide area know, that their business would pick up 10 fold! And, it did! Also, the other smaller hole in the wall store, with a deli, picked up Deli business as well.
I go to the DG all the time. It's about a 1/2 mile away and saves me 15 miles one way to town (Wal-Mart).

Never a good sign for an area when Dollar General rolls in. Sorry in New England it is in depressed areas.

The downside and I am not usually this type is their food offerings hurts local grocers and you end up with the junk canned mostly they sell. They are trying fresher stuff as they have killed off small grocery places over the years.

Back