Doesn't smell like Merc V

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSC

Just obtained a Mazda Tribute (Ford Escape) in great shape with a solid motor. Only tran history I can confirm from the VIN is it was "replaced" 40k ago. Inspection reveals the tell-tale markings it's not new rather most likely a rebuild. The shop that did the work has poor records, but says they do full rebuilds as their main line of work. Whatever, just a little background.

The Tran is throwing the dreaded P1744 TCC code on the highway with the flashing OD light. Here's the question:

The fluid is super clean, nice and red, but my nose clearly tells me it's not Merc V. I have bottles of MercV and it has a distinct sardine/fish smell, whereas the stuff in this tran is *very* sweet smelling. Not burned at all as far as I can tell, and possibly a little more slippery to the touch (though who can really tell) :)

Is there any way I can a) determine if it's the wrong fluid or b) do a complete flush myself so I *know* it gets the right fluid? In anyone's experience could this slippery sweet stuff possibly be Amsoil or Mobil Synthetic or one of the other alternatives often discussed here?

Thanks!

Ive always thought that Mercon V smelled like cat pee. But it definitely smells different.

I wonder if the shop used DexIII/Mercon because its 1/2 the price...

Thought i'd heard it att, I have noticed thought that Pennzoil Ultra has a sweet smell compared to my normal Trop-artic oil, esters are known to have a sweet smell? I don't know about ATF though.

Does anyone think a flush with known good fluid and maybe some LGR would help with the 1744 code? I've never fully understood that code and the solutions seems ambiguous too, such as "change the fluid" or "add some friction modifier" or "just drop it and put in a new solenoid".

Am I wrong, or does the code mean *either* the clutch is slipping *or* the solenoid isn't engaging *or even* the clutch is slipping due to the wrong fluid?

I would definitely exchange the fluid and get some Lubegard in there. If you are lucky, something/valve/... that is stuck might unstick. Otherwise you'll have to troubleshoot/replace wiring/solenoids/TC....

Consider the Lubegard non-solvent flush(White bottle) prior to the new ATF and Red.

You can unhook the cooler line near the radiator line and pump it out. Then pull and clean the pan and replace filter.

Can you elaborate on "pump it out"? I'm not afraid to unhook the cooler lines, but like with a hand pump? Will that empty the torque converter?

Unhook the ATF cooler line and place it in a drain pan. Start engine and allow transmission oil pump to pump out old fluid. Immediately turn-off engine when aeration foam appears in drain hose. Refill transmission with the same amount of ATF that was pumped out. Repeat process until ATF fluid is bright red / like new. Refill and top-off to the proper level.

Sorry, I was interrupted, but 147 grain is on the same page as I. I would clean the pan and change the filter after the initial pump out though.

Correct. I've used M1 ATF for a long time, and it has changed "smell" a lot of times.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
You can't tell the product just by the scratch n sniff test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back