Does this sound like a bad tire?

Summary:
-Audi Q5 ran over a pipe in the freeway.
-NO ISSUES for 2-months. Wife never mentioned it to me, I drove the car, never noticed.
-Saw a sidewall bubble 2 months later, tires were worn anyway, THATS when I found out about the incident.
-Replaced the tires with new Michelin's at Costco. Immediately had a cyclical vibration appear. I noticed it right away as soon as we hit 70mph.
-Had Costco rebalance all (4) just in case. They told me one wheel was bent. I replaced that wheel. No difference in cyclical vibration.
-Had another shop roadforce balance all (4) wheels. They said everything is good and no runout issues either. No difference in cyclical vibration.

I moved the wheels Front to Rear, and the vibration is worse on the front now.

At this point is it possible I just got a bad Michelin tire somehow? I mean we had no issues at all until the new tires were put on. The last few months I've been running under the assumption maybe something in the suspension is damaged, but found nothing visually, and the fact it moves on tire rotation, and I've had everything roadforced has me stuck. Not sure what else I can do here?

Any ideas?

What pressure are you running? I would try an experiment by lowering the pressure to 20 psi and taking it for a drive in the same conditions you feel the vibration, then inflate to 50 psi and do it again. See if it makes any difference. Then return to normal pressure.

I had a bad set of Michelins, but, it showed on Roadforce balancing, so there was no doubt.

If you have rotated fronts to rear, and know it's one of the front tires, can you rotate just left side, and see if the problem stays the same? then you'd have it narrowed down to RF. Maybe it's still a bad tire, or maybe it's a bad rim.

Seems odd that it wouldn't have been caught by roadforce a second time, but, who knows. See if you can narrow down to a specific wheel, then perhaps rotate it one more time after that, see if it's conclusively a bad wheel.

thanks - sounds like best approach is continue to rotate the wheels and get a confirmed problem wheel and go from there. I'll give that a try.

-Replaced the tires with new Michelin's at Costco. Immediately had a cyclical vibration appear. I noticed it right away as soon as we hit 70mph.
-Had Costco rebalance all (4) just in case. They told me one wheel was bent. I replaced that wheel. No difference in cyclical vibration.
Tires are worn anyway and you had them balanced. Well you wasted you money on a balance get those tires off that car.
I think you missed the bit in bold.

Summary:
-Audi Q5 ran over a pipe in the freeway.
-NO ISSUES for 2-months. Wife never mentioned it to me, I drove the car, never noticed.
-Saw a sidewall bubble 2 months later, tires were worn anyway, THATS when I found out about the incident.
-Had another shop roadforce balance all (4) wheels. They said everything is good and no runout issues either. No difference in cyclical vibration.

I moved the wheels Front to Rear, and the vibration is worse on the front now.

At this point is it possible I just got a bad Michelin tire somehow? I mean we had no issues at all until the new tires were put on. The last few months I've been running under the assumption maybe something in the suspension is damaged, but found nothing visually, and the fact it moves on tire rotation, and I've had everything roadforced has me stuck. Not sure what else I can do here?

Any ideas?
Did you have an alignment performed?

cyclical vibration

Generally a vibration so described is not tires but a driveline component.

However - facts as stated: it was fine + tires changed + it is not fine = tires.

Did shop give you road force numbers? It is bad out there, seems some shops think balancing a tire on a balancer that says road force on it is road force balancing.

Have you called Michelin?

I agree. If it moves around with the tires and wasn't there before its most likely the tires.

By chance does any of this follow the "new" wheel? That could be the tire that is out of whack - not the wheel.

It would be useful to ask for the road force numbers. They might be out some, but less than the shop figures matters.

I would have them road force balanced again, and ask them to write the number in each tire in chalk. If it happened to be discount tire they will likely do it again for free.

I had more or less the same problem with some General tires that still vibrate a bit.

The shop that I use has seen counterfeit Michelin tires. The person's car experienced similar problems.

How many pounds of road force did they get them down to?
I don't think they did it right.

Agree with JohnnyG - go find another shop that has the Hunter Road Force, a quality shop, have them redo it. Make sure they watch closely for a bent rim. If all the rims are good then if any of the Hunter numbers are above 15, have that tire replaced. Brand new Michelins should be under 10. On EVERY new set of tires over the last 10 years I've always had at least one tire that was bad, one time there were two!

Back