Does this device exist?

I am curious if the following item exists.

A device that'd connect to a computer's VGA or DisplayPort, etc, USB and then connects back to a Windows laptop and will give you the video output while in turn allowing you to provide it with Keyboard/Mouse inputs.

Possibly a software KVM I'm looking for?

My use case would be taking my MacBook Pro (or under a Windows VM) to a client site and being able to connect to an on-premises server and interact with its BIOS or RAID controller cards. Essentially eliminating me from having to carry a monitor, KB, and mouse.

Thanks.

I am curious if the following item exists.

A device that'd connect to a computer's VGA or DisplayPort, etc, USB and then connects back to a Windows laptop and will give you the video output while in turn allowing you to provide it with Keyboard/Mouse inputs.

Possibly a software KVM I'm looking for?

My use case would be taking my MacBook Pro (or under a Windows VM) to a client site and being able to connect to an on-premises server and interact with its BIOS or RAID controller cards. Essentially eliminating me from having to carry a monitor, KB, and mouse.

Thanks.
HP has that kind of functionality (no need for a KVM though) through their ILO system. You get a virtual console where you can access the server in the way you are describing wanting to, as well as getting access to a pile of other health information.

A simple solution is to just carry a monitor keyboard and mouse.

Ignore the smartphone angle they are using to sell the product. It's a touchscreen monitor, keyboard, trackpad, USB hub attached to a thunderbolt hub with an internal battery.

Affix a thunderbolt hub to it and it's 2 cables attached to the server and you're in business. A portable rackmount console terminal.

HP has that kind of functionality (no need for a KVM though) through their ILO system. You get a virtual console where you can access the server in the way you are describing wanting to, as well as getting access to a pile of other health information.
That is the way to go for sure, in my realm I have quite a few clients who have PowerEdges. My only hurdle is that many of them only have iDRAC basic and wouldn't be too interested in upgrading to Enterprise.

Back