Does the KIA engine warranty cover excessive burning?

I have a 2012 KIA with one of the problem GDI engines under warranty. Does anyone here know if excessive oil burning would qualify me for a replacement engine? It's over a quart every 1000 miles. Other than that, it's a bit sluggish but runs fine.

Dealer would know better than we would but do not be surprised if your dealer tells you that 1 quart per 1000 miles is "normal".

I would try to. Id probably drain out .3 quarts if they try to fill it up and make you come back until the low oil level turns on and do a good job cleaning and making everything seem untouched. Actually told a friend to do that because his ford edge was burning just under the limit so he took a bit out and use brake cleaner and a rag to clean it. Got his edge warrantied. Some dealers will overfill the engine and put a grade thicker like a toyota dealership was once caught doing because an engine was burning. I'd check the level and check the oil type is possible. If it's overfilled tell them to put it at the level. Some kia dealers have been known to just overfill new cars getting oil changes like kia rios to 5qt which only hold 3.5.

You'll have to take it to the dealer and have them start an oil consumption test. They'll also do a sound test to check the bottom end.

I would try to. Id probably drain out .3 quarts if they try to fill it up and make you come back until the low oil level turns on and do a good job cleaning and making everything seem untouched. Actually told a friend to do that because his ford edge was burning just under the limit so he took a bit out and use brake cleaner and a rag to clean it. Got his edge warrantied. Some dealers will overfill the engine and put a grade thicker like a toyota dealership was once caught doing because an engine was burning. I'd check the level and check the oil type is possible. If it's overfilled tell them to put it at the level. Some kia dealers have been known to just overfill new cars getting oil changes like kia rios to 5qt which only hold 3.5.

I think some (most?) service departments put tamper strips to show if anything has been opened.

So you want a new engine on a 10 year old 124,000 mile car because it uses some oil? Not going to happen. Let's say you drive it to 200K so you buy 76 quarts or $250 worth of oil. Technically you shouldn't need oil changes anymore since every 5,000 miles you have replenished the oil, just change the filter every 10K or so. That's 15 oil changes you don't have to do. At $30 each, that's $450 you save. Even if you add the cost of a few filter changes, you're still ahead.

So you want a new engine on a 10 year old 124,000 mile car because it uses some oil? Not going to happen. Let's say you drive it to 200K so you buy 76 quarts or $250 worth of oil. Technically you shouldn't need oil changes anymore since every 5,000 miles you have replenished the oil, just change the filter every 10K or so. That's 15 oil changes you don't have to do. At $30 each, that's $450 you save. Even if you add the cost of a few filter changes, you're still ahead.

"some oil"? It loses almost a quart in 500 miles. Kia has a lifetime warranty on this 2.4 engine and I was wondering if this is a condition that they would replace an engine for.

I have since read some of the KIA forum and, indeed, it does happen but there is no consistency in their determination of who gets a new engine for just oil consumption.

It might. Those engines now carry a lifetime unlimited mileage engine warranty since they have a known defect. My dealer told me that 1qt per 1200 miles would be considered normal. Keep in mind that most of these engines during a typical 3750 mile oil change interval will eventually seize due to an almost dry sump when the consumption gets bad enough. And at that point they will replace the short block under warranty. I plan for this to happen at a time convenient for me.

First you said 1,000 miles.

Big difference between 1,000 and 500. Is it smoking much?
An engine can be burning oil at both less than 1 quart per 500 miles and more than 1 quart per 1000 miles.

So you want a new engine on a 10 year old 124,000 mile car because it uses some oil? Not going to happen.
It can, but OP needs to take it to the dealer and have an oil consumption test started and make sure they perform the knock sensor program software update. The outcome of the settlement with Hyundai resulted in an extended warranty on the Theta II engines, with the following parameters:

"The extension of the warranty will cover the short block assembly, consisting of the engine block, crankshaft and bearings, connecting rods and bearings, and pistons, in those Class Vehicles owned by individual consumers that have completed the knock sensor program software update."

This warranty is both lifetime and transferable, and can only be voided in instances of "exceptional neglect". That's a cliff notes version, but the whole document can be found here and the settlement site can be found here.

yeah thats way beyond the what 10y/100k warranty. why didnt you state. by asking if they'd warranty you implied you were still under it as once you're a mile or day over its out of warranty. Look for tsb's on that engine to see if its defective because you may be able to get it replaced under extended warranty if there is one. ive heard of kia and hyundais of those years having engine replacements.

what's the model and engine of your car. when you ask questions like these it would be best to give us all information. oil type used, brand, oil change intervals and miles per year, new or used and anything related.

Also anything that you've already tried. if you already tried to use a thicker oil, flush the engine, and change the pcv then we'd point you in other directions. if not then we'd suggest those first.

Did Kia do a lifetime engine warranty with these? I know Hyundai did.

But either way, they only replace them if they blow. Just keep adding oil.

I would ask the dealer of call the factory the number is usually in the owners manual.

Back