Does standing start acceleration even matter?

Other than bragging rights as well as the shear juvenile thrill of nailing the loud pedal and maybe smoking the tires (we've all done it) , does anything beyond adequate acceleration have any actual benefit?
It was very important to me when I was 16. It is not important to me now (almost 60). However, in that space of time when I was between 14 and roughly 21 I fell in love with those sorts of cars (American muscle cars 1964 to 1972); consequently I still own and drive them, albeit, a lot more sedately.

Today, in my drivers, I only need i) "reasonable" power to merge with authority or ii) to maintain legal highway speeds in the mountains or iii) to be able to pass on single lane highways with authority. With the exception of my beater 1977 Dodge D100, every vehicle I have ever owned met these criteria.

Yes, 30 to 80 is far more important, in terms of passing power, than 0 to 60.

Here in Vermont, it is legal to pass on double yellow lines. And we have a lot of dawdling drivers, many out of state, on our two lane roads. Blowing their doors off with the Corvette is great fun.

1689040478482.jpg

While I agree it's important to have the power to accelerate to an appropriate speed on a short on-ramp and merge safely, the appropriate merging speed is rarely 70+ MPH. The vast majority of highway merging takes place in the slowest lane, yet people get so upset when I try to merge at 60-65 MPH. Jesus, you're doing 75 in the SLOW LANE when I'm trying to merge? And I'm at fault? Chill out buddy, this is not your personal speedway. Stop blaming others for your inability to play nice.

It's not about a 0-60 time that never gets used, almost ever car has adequate acceleration these days if you are prepared to use the revs. I suppose it depends what sort of terrain you live in but for me it's hill climbing ability which either means a very big engine with low down torque or a small engine with forced induction. A naturally aspirated car with peak torque at high revs might have a good 0-60 time but feel gutless on a hill. I don't want to have to climb hills at 4000+ rpm. Forced induction makes all the difference in the world, allowing the car to climb a hill with ease at more modest revs.

Important to me. When traffic is at a standstill on the freeway and you need to jump into the next lane that's wide open, you've got to bury the pedal and hurry up before the next car comes. When I'm driving the old Sonata I have to sit for a long time before I can jump out there. In the Genesis, it's no problem at all.

I think that power is important. A vehicle must have enough power to get out of its own way. I like capability over efficiency. 20lbs to 1 HP vs weight is good enough, assuming the gears allow enough juice out the back.

While I agree it's important to have the power to accelerate to an appropriate speed on a short on-ramp and merge safely, the appropriate merging speed is rarely 70+ MPH. The vast majority of highway merging takes place in the slowest lane, yet people get so upset when I try to merge at 60-65 MPH. Jesus, you're doing 75 in the SLOW LANE when I'm trying to merge? And I'm at fault? Chill out buddy, this is not your personal speedway. Stop blaming others for your inability to play nice.

Depends on where you live and drive. The posted speed limit on the interstate here is 70 MPH and the actual speed limit observed by most is 80 MPH and that is the slow lane.

In my opinion, even though the limit may be 65, you need to merge at 75 if that is the speed of traffic. It's a safety issue when vehicles merge 10+ mph below the flow of traffic. That being said I never merge onto anything but interstates that are posted at 75 so I'm routinely going at least that down the on-ramp.

A driver in the slow lane, 10+ MPH above the limit, unwilling to scrub off excess speed for a vehicle merging at the legal maximum speed... who is creating the safety issue here? Apparently the slow lane no longer exists? Or "slow" is now a relative term and speed limit postings mean nothing? Maybe we should sue companies selling vehicles unable to accelerate like mad. It sounds like we think the "safety issue" is lack of illegal acceleration capabilities LOL 🤷‍♂️ We all need to chill out, seriously everyone is in a massive hurry (your problem, not mine) and/or distracted and/or inebriated, and people are getting hurt and killed. These are the real safety issues... plus those illiterates who cannot read important road safety signs. /rant

A driver in the slow lane, 10+ MPH above the limit, unwilling to scrub off excess speed for a vehicle merging at the legal maximum speed... who is creating the safety issue here? Apparently the slow lane no longer exists? Or "slow" is now a relative term and speed limit postings mean nothing? Maybe we should sue companies selling vehicles unable to accelerate like mad. It sounds like we think the "safety issue" is lack of illegal acceleration capabilities LOL 🤷‍♂️ We all need to chill out, seriously everyone is in a massive hurry (your problem, not mine) and/or distracted and/or inebriated, and people are getting hurt and killed. These are the real safety issues... plus those illiterates who cannot read important road safety signs. /rant
Not disagreeing at all that it's a problem when the slowest vehicle is going 10 over, but you have to yield to them when merging, not the other way around. Keep in mind there is no slow and fast lane, the left lane is only a passing lane in most states on 4 lane roads so no one should be there unless they are passing. Flame suit on, but I would say that yes, the posted limit means nothing if the flow of all other traffic is higher.

In my opinion, even though the limit may be 65, you need to merge at 75 if that is the speed of traffic. It's a safety issue when vehicles merge 10+ mph below the flow of traffic. That being said I never merge onto anything but interstates that are posted at 75 so I'm routinely going at least that down the on-ramp.

Yet here doing 75 MPH will soon get you pulled over by the police and a ticket.
Lots of radar traps, and cops cruising the highways in this region. Anything over 65 MPH is not going to end well for people. If people want to race, they need to find a quiet backroad out in the middle of nowhere.

Yet here doing 75 MPH will soon get you pulled over by the police and a ticket.
Lots of radar traps, and cops cruising the highways in this region. Anything over 65 MPH is not going to end well for people. If people want to race, they need to find a quiet backroad out in the middle of nowhere.
Please send some of those Patrollmen here it Silicon Valley. Drivers are worse than ever; far worse.
The other day a driver was honking because a driver ahead would not make the right trun on a red light. There were a couple of bicyclists in front. So a young man in a big garback truck, about 4 lanes over, opened his door, stood up and yelled foreign language cuss words at the honker.
It was wonderful.

Back