Does soaking onions reduce their health benefits?

Been soaking red onions in water to make them edible for use in salads as suggested here a few months ago. Does that soak all the beneficial compounds out of them?

I have ample empirical evidence to demonstrate that soaking onions does not affect their health benefits

onions.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, I didn't know this was a thing. I really like red onions raw (in salad, I'm not going to eat one like an apple lol) but I prefer regular onions sauteed

I always read that raw foods have more nutritional value than cooked.
This is true, just look at the water after you've cooked veggies in it. This is why I steam veggies or wrap them in tin foil, some times I saute them in almond or avocado oil.

I love red onions but they are stronger than yellow or sweet onions.

Last edited:
It makes the kitchen smell great, but I always read that raw foods have more nutritional value than cooked.

I try to eat 2/3 of my veggies raw. Heat destroys enzymes. Most raw foods have more nutritional value than cooked foods. Some, carrots for example, are best eaten cooked because of improved nutrient absorption. Cruciferous vegetables should be cooked to maximize the release of cancer-fighting indole, Potatoes and eggplants are poisonous when eaten uncooked. Raw mushrooms are hard to digest and could cause very loose stools! The same can be true for cruciferous vegetables but it depends on the person and what kind of diet they are used to. Ease into the raw food veggies but make sure they can be eaten raw.

Yea but they are too strong raw. Got a new batch soaking since this morning. Still too strong right now but fine after 24 hours.

View attachment 114214
Someone already mentioned Vidalia onions. They are pretty much the mildest tasting onions you can get. Less healthy? I do not know. However, it is the sulfur compounds that give onions their health benefits in regard to lowering cholesterol.

Last edited:
One of our consultants thought he was invited to have duck in Korea. Turns out they said dog. Joking around - I asked how it tasted (thought he backed out). Smiled and said like a wet dog smells 😳

Final-consonant devoicing has fooled many.

Reactions: 4WD
One of our consultants thought he was invited to have duck in Korea.
Went once with a bar girl in the Philippines to the market to get something for dinner. She was draggin' a scrawny and reluctant dog. Asked if that was her pooch. She said no, he's just going to market too. Lost my appetite right there and then.

Asocena on the leash--->

Asocena.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 4WD
Back