Does rust stop once car is moved out of snow & salt area?

So question I have always pondered is a car moving out of rust belt states to a place where you don't need to be concerned about snow and road salt, sand.

Lets say the car has had dozens of underbody and drain line rinses via car wash, rain storms, driving in rain, etc. Once you get the residual salt rinsed off is there anything to worry about?

I don't know. Back in the 70s my friend's father referred to rust as car cancer. Once it started it was impossible to keep it from spreading. I think your issue will be if the rust has started not the residual salt. And some cars are more prone to rust than others.

If rust stated and is not treated moving to a climate where snow is non-existent will slow it down, a lot. Will it stop? No, it must be repaired if needed and treated to stop the much slower spread of rust. Even with the dozens of under-body washes you mentioned, you can't see inside hidden areas where rust might have started and is not visible. If I were concerned I would rustproof said vehicle as a precautionary measure.

Reactions: JC1
A car that has been in the rust belt is likely to have future rust problems.

My BMW spent less than 3 years in Ontario. I didn't know that when I bought it and it looked quite good. It now has rust on it that a western or coastal car wouldn't have. Not bad rust, but rust just the same.

Rust from road salts will continue until the surface is wire brushed or chemical stripped down to the bare metal and recoated with either a primer or something such as Amsoil Heavy-Duty Metal Protector or similar, because the salts on the surface will continue to combine with the metals in the presence of moisture.

I would get it treated with a rust prevention spray like FF or Krown, CarWell, NH Coatings. That will deal with mild rust, stopping it in its tracks.

Forget about wire brushing and treating with POR15. You will never get into all the areas you need to. The rust prevention sprays will get and/or creep everywhere. (If done by a knowledgeable pro).

I am not knocking POR15. It is good for things that you can get to all surfaces to prep and treat.

So question I have always pondered is a car moving out of rust belt states to a place where you don't need to be concerned about snow and road salt, sand.

Lets say the car has had dozens of underbody and drain line rinses via car wash, rain storms, driving in rain, etc. Once you get the residual salt rinsed off is there anything to worry about?

No, unless the rust has started. It won't stop rusting but if you get it out before the protective coatings have given up you're likely good.

Back