Does premium unleaded burn hotter than regular

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy Old Topic Revival! Nearly 5 years time elapsed between your post and the prior post!

Originally Posted By: cdubu
Wrong - octane prevents detonation due to compression. 8 to 1 low compressiion motor and 87 octane doesnt ping because not enough compression to ignite without spark. 10 to 1 ratio and 87 octane ignites before spark due to pressure in cylinder. Thats why higher compression motors need higher octane - it prevents predetonation.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Embarrassed to have posted in a necrothread.............twice.

The fundamentals of octane have not changed during the duration of said thread.

Thankfully, misinformation has been addressed.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Premium fuel burns slower than Reg; everyone knows that. That's why it can give more power in an engine that has been designed for premium, as it ignites it will expand and apply even force as the piston moves down. Reg may be burned up before the piston is all the way in it's downstroke and a "ping" or "knock" is the result. Any difference in the temp of the burn would be insignificant

I have owned 2 cars that called for Premium, and I always ran regular or mid-grade. On my Olds, and my Jag, the knock sensor will retard the timing if any pinging starts...

Not really.

Octane is a value given based on resistance to pre-ignition. Which means prevention of the fuel charge igniting due to compression,cylinder hot spots,any ignition that ISN'T from the spark.
So your incorrect.
Octane and burn temp aren't connected.

Your 5 years too late...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back