Does power steering fluid need changing?

Originally Posted by Paul_Siu
OK, I took a look and found the power steering. The fluid appears to be a dark red and is probably ok. The problem is that the hole is really tiny so I have to find something more narrow than a turkey baster.

Paul

I use a hand pump from my wife's hand moisturizer. It fits in small spaces.

Every other oil change (about 8,000 miles) I suction out the fluid in the reservoir and add new DEX IV ATF. In past Volvo V70s I added a filter in the return line.

Much less expensive than replacing a rack.

Last edited:
A better tool than Turkey Baster would be a battery filler, which consists of a bulb and narrow tube, which you can buy from auto and hardware store for about $6 or so. The narrow tube means it will fit and you won't accidently use the baster that you have been using for power steering for your Thanksgiving turkey.

Paul

It can't hurt to change that fluid, just make sure to use the right stuff and don't go and blindly dump transmission fluid in there. Some vehicles take a special fluid that should be used or you may have leaks or maybe a steering rack that does not operate smoothly anymore. Use what is recommended, cars like mine and some Japanese vehicles react badly to using just any old fluid and it can cost a small fortune to repair the damage.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I've never felt the need to change PS fluid
27.gif

I have … when the clear OEM fluid turned black … Instead of a turkey tool … I bought a six ounce super syringe off ebay … love that thing

At walmart in the section with the grills and accessories you can get marinade injector syringes for 88 cents. The work for about a couple uses before the plunger gets stuck, I guess CHF-202 is hard on the rubber plunger and eventually swells it some. If one had a silicone plunger tip instead it might last a lot longer. I keep one of those on hand for that and brake fluid changing. I just would never use the one for the power steering to empty the brake reservoir. If you have a bit of money burning a hole in your pocket the oil extractors for oil changing will work for power steering fluid. I just would not buy one unless I was also going to use it to change my motor oil also.

The SS has a stiff tube that can reach deeper in the reservoir … and it's positive displacement in/out

I bought a Hopkins Liquivac at Lowes that can hold 8qts once I started doing P/S fluid changes on multiple vehicles, particularly on trucks where they hold 2-3 quarts in the reservoir.

There is quite a bit of shearing that happens through normal operation of the power steering system as well as wear metal contamination. I did two changes on my retired F-150:

[Linked Image from iili.io]

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
There is quite a bit of shearing that happens through normal operation of the power steering system as well as wear metal contamination. I did two changes on my retired F-150:

[Linked Image from iili.io]

Interesting info
Thanks for sharing !

Did you have them test the fluids before use?

I imagine you change it when it looks dirty. Brake fluid collect water overtime, so I change it every 2-3 years. Power Steering does not collect water?

The turkey baster is an interesting idea, but if you use that method wouldn't you just replace the fluid just in the reserve tank. Wouldn't a drain be more through, tig1 seems to indicate that didn't matter for him.

That's right. With a record of no PS pump failures doing the turkey baster method, that speaks well of what I have been doing.

I think Subaru went all electronic power steering around 2013? I believe my 2012 Legacy still had a PS pump, etc, although I might be wrong.

The fluid and associated components on a PS system could last the life of the vehicle. Key word being could.

I've brought a few old style Ford power steering pumps back to life by suctioning or pumping out the old black, nasty looking and smelling fluid and replacing it with recommended ATF.

It's not just the pump you're trying to preserve. It's the seals on the rack or gear box as well.

A better tool than Turkey Baster would be a battery filler, which consists of a bulb and narrow tube, which you can buy from auto and hardware store for about $6 or so. The narrow tube means it will fit and you won't accidently use the baster that you have been using for power steering for your Thanksgiving turkey.

Paul

This is what I do. I suck out the reservoir, put fresh fluid, start vehicle, turn steering wheel all the way from one direction to the other, then turn it off and repeat. And battery fillers work perfectly. And cheap
smile.gif

In my Toyota's I can't use the turkey baster as the hole in PS reservoir is too small. I went to local vets office and got a bunch of big syringes. Then went to hardware store and got clear tubing that would fit over syringe. I vacuum out old PS fluid from the reservoir every 30k miles.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Did you have them test the fluids before use?

No. The PDS gives you the virgin data with the exception of wear metals which have never been more than traces in any VOA I have done.

Back