Does Oil have an expiry date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all, as the title: Does Oil have an expiry date?

reason i ask is since discounts come round and i like to stock up but wont use the oil for a year or 2.

is it ok to use the oil then or is it not advised

Theoretically, yes, most oil manufacturers will say that the oil has an expiration date... it varies from 5 to 10 years, from what I've seen they publish.

2 years should be no problem at all, if you store it properly.

You should also look at the mfg date on the container - some of that stuff that goes on clearance can be pretty old to begin with.

I'm using oil that is from 2006 in my Acura right now. The oil in the Firebird is from 2007. Stored correctly, it should last almost indefinitely.

Apparently 4-5 years in an unopened container, after that it needs testing to make sure it's ok. In all honesty, who gives a....just put it in!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Will this topic ever expire?
As long as oil continues to expire and concerned members continue to send me their oil for safe disposal it shall remain relevant!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Will this topic ever expire?

I know it's like ground hog day but that applies to alot of questions posted on BITOG. We really need a better search function.

But my answer to the question is a big NO. Oils 20 and 30 years oils have been tested and they are as good (or bad) as the day they were bottled.
Now what will happen is that oil spec's will become dated. So if you stock up on GF-5 oils on sale what are you going to do when GF-6 becomes specified in a year or two?

I ran old Shell Fire and Ice 5w30 in Toyota 4Runner that my dad had on his shelf for like 10+ years that ran fine. I also had a UOA done and it was great. Frankly if he had several old cases of that stuff I would have used it without worry.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
So unopened and its good?

Doesnt matter if its stored in a non AC'd/ heated garage?

Even if it's opened and the cap is back on is good.
In an unheated garage, with dino oils it's best to keep them above their cold rating if it's possible for the temp's to drop way below freezing in your garage.
That said I keep my oil stash in the basement where the temp's are stable year round.

Originally Posted By: slybunda
hi all, as the title: Does Oil have an expiry date?

reason i ask is since discounts come round and i like to stock up but wont use the oil for a year or 2.

is it ok to use the oil then or is it not advised

Blackstone tested a bunch of ancient canned oils.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3474476/Blackstone_testing_of_ancient_

First linked article, they took some 45 year old havoline in a tin, sampled one, and put the other on a paint shaker to test what had dropped out...apparently nothing.

Originally Posted By: jayg
And this is why I am running only oil from the 60's and 70's in my Datsun. I have loads of it and isnt hurting a thing.

That you know of...

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: jayg
And this is why I am running only oil from the 60's and 70's in my Datsun. I have loads of it and isnt hurting a thing.

That you know of...

Foreboding!

No it's fine.

Functionally, no.

I'm going through 2011 oil right now and ignoring sales/rebates as I clear out my stash to have less to move in a few months.

Last edited:
I ran 12 year old Rotella 15W40 in my boat this year for 200 hours. I did a UOA on this same batch of oil which was 11 years old last year at the end of the season. The UOA results were excellent.

Oil has been in the ground for millions of years. I think it can last on a shelf just fine for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back