Does Oil have an expiry date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jayg
And this is why I am running only oil from the 60's and 70's in my Datsun. I have loads of it and isnt hurting a thing.

Thats pretty awesome.

My dad had a few Datsun 240z back in his younger years. Pretty awesome little cars.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Will this topic ever expire?

I know it's like ground hog day but that applies to alot of questions posted on BITOG. We really need a better search function.

But my answer to the question is a big NO. Oils 20 and 30 years oils have been tested and they are as good (or bad) as the day they were bottled.
Now what will happen is that oil spec's will become dated. So if you stock up on GF-5 oils on sale what are you going to do when GF-6 becomes specified in a year or two?

Wow i actually agree with this post. All of it!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Now what will happen is that oil spec's will become dated.

Yup. This is the primary reason why I don't stash oil. Oils are constantly getting better, so why would I want to lock myself into some old stock when newer/better stuff might be available next time I'm ready for an oil change?

Because some of us just can't resist a good deal!
Like a case of QS oil treatment for 95% off. Or RL SM 5W-30 for 6 bucks a bottle. Or GC (green) on clearance for a buck a bottle (there was only a single bottle left by the time I got to that one).
But for normal every day sales, it's best to ignore them if you can't use the oil in a year or two max'.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Oil has been in the ground for millions of years. I think it can last on a shelf just fine for a few years.

While that makes a interesting snappy quote, there is no correlation between raw crude out of the ground and after is has been refined into a final product in terms of future longevity.

I would say oils are constantly being updated to suit the up-to-date technology on new cars, whether they are better for yours is another matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back