Does increasing tire pressure really improve mpg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wondered whether or not this was true, or just a myth.
I came across this link , and it shows that they had nearly the same fuel economy with an extra 5 psi in the tires.

So, can you actually improve mpg by increasing tire pressure ? Or is it just wearing your tires out faster?

I personally don't buy into the theory, I keep my tire pressure 2-5 psi above what the placard says just to ensure the tires are wearing evenly.

It's possible since it may reduce rolling resistance and slight overfilling would reduce the contact patch,reducing friction.

i keep my at max pressure most of the year but normally don't go over, if you're tires are too inflated, not enough surface area is on the ground, making it more dangerous to drive in the rain...

absolutely .....
Monitoring tire PSI and keeping it right also extends tire life.
When I go wheeling I always air down and MPG on the ride home is always noticeably less.

On the Focus (and the Taurus), I ran them at the max on the sidewall. Never wore the centers on either ...

Originally Posted By: wsar10
absolutely .....
Monitoring tire PSI and keeping it right also extends tire life.
When I go wheeling I always air down and MPG on the ride home is always noticeably less.

I reinflate before heading back. Driving around on 8PSI heats the tires up haha

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
What is the max you can run in car tires, 40 psi? I have been putting them up to about 37 psi.

Each car tire is different. It's on the sidewall of the tire.

Originally Posted By: Spector
Definitely improves the wear, especially on the outside edges of front tires to inflate near the cold MAX PSI

That's very much application dependent. If I do that on my 530i, the center tread will wear out faster than the sides.

Two of my cars have OE pressure over 40 - my saab and my 135i. MPGs are impressive on both for what they are. Yes, it works.

EXTREMELY so!^^^

How big is the tire? How heavy is the car? Weight distribution? Power? Many more variables, you can't simply say crank up the PSI to the max on the sidewall!

I run 6psi over door-jamb specs to give Kitacam quicker response handling and a bit firmer ride....I can't be sure any higher MPG is the direct result since there are other variables.
Uneven wear (at the center) can be limited by more rotating sequences, since those up front get more wear at the sidewalls.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Want to verify if its a myth? Ride your bike with 20 psi vs 50 psi.

Except that most bicycle tires are not radial tires. A radial tire, even with only 20 psi in it will not necessarily look 'flat'.

...and you really can't compare results of EXTREME PSIs, over and under inflation at the limits, since you SHOULDN'T be running tires beyond EFFECTIVE traction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Want to verify if its a myth? Ride your bike with 20 psi vs 50 psi.

Except that most bicycle tires are not radial tires. A radial tire, even with only 20 psi in it will not necessarily look 'flat'.

But the effort required to move your bike should get the point across! I notice when my bike tires are down a few for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back