Does conventional/semi Oil do anything better than full Synthetic?

So I realize that most of the conventional oils are now a blend to meet certifications and full synthetic is a broad term but I have heard and read some info that has me curious.

Some people seem the think that conventional oils do a better job of clinging to engine parts over a longer period to help with start-up wear. Suppose saying that is helpful before the oil has been distributed via the pump.

Any validity to this or any other attributes that a conventional oil outperforms synthetics?

Conventional oils typically have a higher viscosity than equally viscosity rated synthetics when cold and I have also heard of them clinging to parts more. But I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd worry more about the filter and it's ability to flow and bypass.

Not necessarily. There are plenty of conventional motor oils for various applications. Yes, synthetic motor oils have superior specifications!

So I realize that most of the conventional oils are now a blend to meet certifications and full synthetic is a broad term but I have heard and read some info that has me curious.

Some people seem the think that conventional oils do a better job of clinging to engine parts over a longer period to help with start-up wear. Suppose saying that is helpful before the oil has been distributed via the pump.

Any validity to this or any other attributes that a conventional oil outperforms synthetics?

Only if we're talking group I minerals there's a case to be made for the higher aromaticy with keeping engines clean, but only in very short oil change intervals.

It's all Marketing now. There is no conventional oil from the major brands.

I would check the API donut and make sure thats in place, then check your owners manual to make sure it meets specs.

From those two things, I make my choice.

There is no validity. Where is the oil going to go in either case with the pump not running? When you crank the engine to start, the pump is pumping. Even if there was validity, how would you quantify the difference and would it be concern enough to offset the 99.95% advantage that synthetic offers?

rob1715 is right. We need to find that horse so we can beat the crap out of it some more.

Regardless of conventional, syn blend or full synthetic, one of the many properties of a good motor oil is maintaining an oil film on engine parts after engine shutoff. And even if conventional does cling to parts slightly better than full syn or syn blends (which I doubt), there are so many other benefits to full syn and syn blends, there's no way I would choose a conventional just because of this one property.

i think vr1 10w30 silver bottle is a conventional that is very well regarded. is it better than any 10w30 synthetic at anything?

But I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd worry more about the filter and it's ability to flow and bypass.
The positive displacement oil pump ensures flow through the filter and oiling system as long as the oil is totally pumpable. Use the correct "W" rating for the anticipated cold start-ups, and all will be fine.

Back