Does Brita Water Go Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one of those Brita pitchers in my fridge. I think it's had the same water in it since summer.

I drank it yesterday and have had stomach upset ever since. It's the only thing I've done differently diet-wise.

So my question is, how long is that water good for in the pitcher? I tried Google but couldn't really find anything definitive.

Thanks.

You won't find that in Google because it depends on your environment. Since summer means it is for sure exposed to the germs in the fridge sine then because it is not sealed and sterilized.

Personally I won't drink it if it is more than 1 week in the fridge without boiling it again.

I'm relieved that I figured out the issue. I was starting to wonder if being stuck inside was stressing me out to the point of causing stomach problems, haha.

Thanks.

Water of course never goes bad. But it does get contaminated and your refrigerator isn't a clean environment and not fully sealed and neither is your pitcher.

Hmm... we usually dump any water that's been in there longer than a week or so, certainly after two weeks I'd pitch it.
And as a FYI the filters aren't supposed to stay in for that long - I'd change the filter now for sure, and every 3-6 months thereafter.
Who knows what's growing in the filter?

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
I drank it yesterday and have had stomach upset ever since. It's the only thing I've done differently diet-wise. Thanks.

You kinda answered your own question

[kind-off-off-topic]
I forgot a water bottle for about 2-4 months in the car and started to drink from it at night:
-first the strange taste, so I reach for another bottle
-well ,after a week, I checked the bottle in daylight: had some floaties/jelly things

Originally Posted by pandus13
[kind-off-off-topic]
I forgot a water bottle for about 2-4 months in the car and started to drink from it at night:
-first the strange taste, so I reach for another bottle
-well ,after a week, I checked the bottle in daylight: had some floaties/jelly things

Backwash growing

I have one of those Brita pitchers in my fridge. I think it's had the same water in it since summer.

I drank it yesterday and have had stomach upset ever since. It's the only thing I've done differently diet-wise.

So my question is, how long is that water good for in the pitcher? I tried Google but couldn't really find anything definitive.

Thanks.

Ugottabkidding

Originally Posted by Randy_R

Thanks.

Ugottabkidding

Yeah, the whole post was actually a joke.

Originally Posted by TmanP

Who knows what's growing in the filter?

We've known for 20 years that even brand-new and unused water filters already contain mold spores. If you use a water filter you need to use it all the time and replace it regularly to minimize bacterial and mold load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back