After 45 years, I gave up Cokes

Originally Posted by buddylpal
Congrats on giving up soda!
They really are terrible for your body. I haven't had one in about a year now, one thing I noticed was my blood pressure lowered. I never had high blood pressure but cutting out soda made it lower. Regarding the energy boost you need, do you drink coffee at all?

No, I never did. I am pretty much 90% water now, and 10% orange juice or spicy V8 at breakfast.

Originally Posted by Donald

I am a Diet Pepsi guy. Was your Coke regular or diet?

Both. I drank Coke by itself all day, and Diet Coke withall meals. I incorrectly rationalized I was "saving calories" so I could justify eating more. Now I know both are bad in different ways.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by buddylpal
Congrats on giving up soda!
They really are terrible for your body. I haven't had one in about a year now, one thing I noticed was my blood pressure lowered. I never had high blood pressure but cutting out soda made it lower. Regarding the energy boost you need, do you drink coffee at all?

No, I never did. I am pretty much 90% water now, and 10% orange juice or spicy V8 at breakfast.

I take it you were drinking regular coke and not diet coke right? If you're eliminating 800 calories a day, your weight should be going down although I suppose the orange juice and V8 make it somewhat less than that.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
How is your dental health?

Nearly perfect. I have good dental hygine, and no cavities (since childhood).

I have very few vices and one of them is drinking soda...I'm going to keep on drinking them.

Weirdly my dental health is good too never a cavity or anything related. Only my wisdom teeth needed to come out and I am OLD.....lol

Originally Posted by Reddy45
How is your dental health?

Nearly perfect. I have good dental hygine, and no cavities (since childhood).

So, why did you stop?
Despite your soda intake, clearly your body seems to have found a balance that worked.
If I were you, I'd continue and not think twice about it.

Not saying this will happen to you, but quitting so abruptly can have detrimental effects (as we age, the risk increases).
Sometimes it's best to just keep doing what you've always done, simply because it works and we are able to function "normally" (however you'd like to define that).

Originally Posted by JTK
2 to 3 liters per day EVERY day? You've got great genetics if you haven't had health issues associated with this!

Yes, that was not an exaggeration. I literally drank 2-3L per day for the past 45 years. No water to speak of. I know it was horrible.

Originally Posted by chainblu
I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP (same age, 2+ litres a day, etc). Both my doctor and dentist are telling me it's time to quit and I'm going to.

You really can do it. I am surprised no one has asked what motivated me. What happened was, my wife does the shopping at WalMart (curbside). She bought us a "months supply" of food, and included was 50 Cokes, Dr. Pepper, and Pepsis. We unloaded the truck and placed it all on the kitchen floor. It was staggering to see that. Staggering.

The next day I woke up and poured myself a glass of water to start the day. I have not touched the Cokes since.

Originally Posted by PontiacHO
Hardest withdrawal I've ever had was giving up Diet Coke.

It was tough. No morning boost, and a bad headache that lasted a full week. Its all but gone now. I feel much better.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
I have very few vices and one of them is drinking soda...I'm going to keep on drinking them.
l

I really understand that. As I said, I was/am pretty healthy except for the Cokes. I thought I "deserved' my "one vice" of Cokes. I was wrong. I encourage you to at least cut back 50%. You can do it.

Weirdly my dental health is good too never a cavity or anything related. Only my wisdom teeth needed to come out and I am OLD.....lol

I have learned through life's experiences-you either born with good teeth or bad teeth. Good gums or bad gums. My wife has horrible teeth-but no gum issues what so ever. I have GOOD teeth and terrible gums.

While what you consume and your dental care does matter-you can't eat or clean your teeth/gums to last-if you don't have good mouth to begin with.

Originally Posted by chainblu
I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP (same age, 2+ litres a day, etc). Both my doctor and dentist are telling me it's time to quit and I'm going to.

You really can do it. I am surprised no one has asked what motivated me. What happened was, my wife does the shopping at WalMart (curbside). She bought us a "months supply" of food, and included was 50 Cokes, Dr. Pepper, and Pepsis. We unloaded the truck and placed it all on the kitchen floor. It was staggering to see that. Staggering.

The next day I woke up and poured myself a glass of water to start the day. I have not touched the Cokes since.

Sounds like a passive intervention of sorts. What did you do with the refinery-level of bottles that you acquired?

Originally Posted by WagonWheel

Sounds like a passive intervention of sorts. What did you do with the refinery-level of bottles that you acquired?

She didn't mean too. She just doubled the biweekly grocery order. Seeing 50 on the kitchen floor was staggering to see.

One good thing is, I have always recycled all the plastic bottles! LOL!

I like Coke and Dr Pepper, usually have at least one of each in a years time.

l

I really understand that. As I said, I was/am pretty healthy except for the Cokes. I thought I "deserved' my "one vice" of Cokes. I was wrong. I encourage you to at least cut back 50%. You can do it.

I've tried from time to time but it is a comfort food thing I guess. My weight is correct for my body and height too, and I exercise almost everyday of the week walking for up to 1.5 hours a day.

l

I've tried from time to time but it is a comfort food thing I guess. My weight is correct for my body and height too, and I exercise almost everyday of the week walking for up to 1.5 hours a day.

The worst thing that happened was that Pepsi came out with a original made with Real Sugar Pepsi product so it tastes like I remember it as a teenager back in the early 80s.
That's my exclusive soda now.

Originally Posted by CT Rob
Everything in soda is bad for you.Good for you for giving it up.Your body thanks you

Exactly! You'll feel better mentally and physically.

good job
thumbsup2.gif

once you have stopped dinking it, your body restarts its recovery

Back