Multi-pass efficiency of Brita Water Filters :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I can’t obsess over the best filter in Japan, as I don’t know how to gather information, I started wondering about the Brita water filter. Will be using water for a vacuum hose suck, and I was wondering how many times I should filter the water. The water here is bad, and bought a Brita water filter the first time I looked at the Mason jar I was drinking from. As a side note, don’t let the 5th month you are in a foreign country be the first time you look at what you are drinking.

I know it’s anal, but since I don’t have anything to do on this gloomy Tuesday, I though I would see what you guys thought.

A few years ago a test of Brita filters revealed that there was mold in the tested unused, new filters. Ack.

Look into water distillation.
Heat kills the microbs, the steam leaves behind particulate and dissolved solids, a final drip on the output of the condenser through activated charcoal (food grade) will take care of the other chemicals like chlorine and such. If you want some dissolved minerals in your water you can add it (oral mineral supplements) to the final clean product water.
There is no performance curve with distillation. First drop made is the same quality as last drop made.
Here, the electricity cost works out to 40 cents a gallon, about a third of store bought distilled.
Here are auto fill and automatic ones... good bulletproof build

[ October 06, 2005, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: 'Tard ]

quote:

Originally posted by Shaman:
Since I can’t obsess over the best filter in Japan, as I don’t know how to gather information, I started wondering about the Brita water filter.

Shaman, is the water there bad icky or bad unhealty? If it's just bad icky, then and filter that makes if adequately un-icky is good.

Save the Brita for something important like making cheap vodka taste better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back