Does anyone use SPECTRUM OIL from Sears/Kmart???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was interested in knowing if any BITOG members use this oil or have used it in the past....Spectrum Plus.

They have a new package out for the High Mileage Oil that comes in a Silver bottle, has the API Starburst displayed on the front of the bottle. These new bottles have a "wide mouth Cap" just like the Exxon Mobil containers.

This oil is API-SM and ILSAC rated GF-4.

Any posts on users and their opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I bought (3) 5 qt jugs of the 5W-30 conventional back in November for about $27. I am currently running it in my 98 Corolla that has just under 195,000 miles on it. No problems with it whatsoever and I would not hesitate to use it again. Been running it for 5K OCI's.

Stuff like that scares me. Even with all the Bitog knowledge out there on how any SM oil will not hurt your car...still, when I see these generic brands, I do not like it. I just feel better using something with a reputable name behind it. That's just me, and no way to justify it, just me feeling on that topic.
I remember when Osco use to sell oil. It was labled "Osco". I wouldn't even of used that stuff in my yard equipment let alone any other less known brand.

Just saw the post before mine that it is Cam2. Maybe not as bad as I thought. But.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mark72
Stuff like that scares me. Even with all the Bitog knowledge out there on how any SM oil will not hurt your car...still, when I see these generic brands, I do not like it. I just feel better using something with a reputable name behind it. That's just me, and no way to justify it, just me feeling on that topic.
I remember when Osco use to sell oil. It was labled "Osco". I wouldn't even of used that stuff in my yard equipment let alone any other less known brand.

Just saw the post before mine that it is Cam2. Maybe not as bad as I thought. But.....

It also didnt help that Kmart was selling 5 quarts individual bottles grouped together of Quaker State for $12 right next to eh SpectrumPlus

Anbd I can still get an SM-rated Valvoline Synpower quart for 7.49 there
or RP 0W-40 for $11 at O'reilly, actually $12.

HTH

Are you scared of the boogie man also?

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Are you scared of the boogie man also?

The boogie man makes CAM2!!!!!!

Last time I looked at a bottle at Sears I believe it had WPP, same as WalMart on the bottle, could be mistaken though. This is in NJ.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: SuperFast
It also didnt help that Kmart was selling 5 quarts individual bottles grouped together of Quaker State for $12 right next to eh SpectrumPlus

Anbd I can still get an SM-rated Valvoline Synpower quart for 7.49 there
or RP 0W-40 for $11 at O'reilly, actually $12.

HTH

Why spend $7,49 for synpower at kmart when it's on sale for $4.99 at O'Reilly...

Osco...man that's a flash from the past.

Kmart has it on sale for $1.99 a quart for Dino, API-SM, GF-4. There was some of the old stock still on the shelf for Spectrum HM, Red Bottle, SM, GF-4 with the WPP on the bottom of the container....that's also going for $2.49 a quart.

However, they have a New black Bottle and a wide mouth top out for the regular Dino in quarts and a "Sharp" looking Silver Bottle with the Wide Mouth top. The silver bottle reminds me of Exxon Mobil with the nice label and the wide mouth top. These are also going for $2.49.

I returned all of my stash of Spectrum Oil back to Kmart. Then the manager told me of the clearance special on the Valvoline, Max Life Red Bottle HM, Synthetic Blend oil in 05W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40....in API-SM, GF-4....clearance special. This is the SM loaded with Moly and not the new version SN without the Moly. So I settled in on buying the Valvoline.

I've got some more oil changes to do....especially on some friends cars that I know burn oil and leak oil. So this Valvoline MaxLife will be put to good use.

Anyway...tell me if you have a chance what I've missed in not buying the Spectrum Oil and switching it out for Valvoline Max Life? All comments are welcome.......

BTW....I do use store brand oil. I bought quite a bit of NAPA store brand full synthetic and added it to Valvoline SynPower for the last round of oil changes for my neighbors. I've also bought Advance Auto full synthetic and Walmart SuperTech full synthetic....Never had a problem with these store brands. I like to use them to "stretch the Mix" with high quality oils and their add packs, IMO, are very good.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DCRamsey
It is Cam2. Look it up at www.cam2.com

That's very strange....Cam2 does not have any MSDS for the "Passenger Car Motor Oils"?

Whats up with that?

They mention on their web site that they have their oil made and bottled by a "Major Supplier" in the USA who also ships internationally....but they don't give a name?????

Don't you find that a little strange when you can't see the MSDS or PDS to see what's in the oil and who bottles the oil?

The chain of custody, between the manufacturing of the oil to the bottling and packaging of the oil is wide open....anything can be changed between point A and point B?

No, these don't look like the nice wide mouth bottles that Spectrum uses....Spectrum's are more like Exxon Mobil bottles.

BTW....Mobil no longer produces the Super Clean or the HM oils in conventional oil....I wonder where the old stock in storage vats went...does anyone know???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mongo161
Originally Posted By: DCRamsey
It is Cam2. Look it up at www.cam2.com

That's very strange....Cam2 does not have any MSDS for the "Passenger Car Motor Oils"?

Whats up with that?

They mention on their web site that they have their oil made and bottled by a "Major Supplier" in the USA who also ships internationally....but they don't give a name?????

Don't you find that a little strange when you can't see the MSDS or PDS to see what's in the oil and who bottles the oil?

The chain of custody, between the manufacturing of the oil to the bottling and packaging of the oil is wide open....anything can be changed between point A and point B?

Chill out.

Here is their 5W/30 MSDS. You just gotta click on the specific product, and it's listed there.

IMHO....with no PDS or MSDS available on Spectrum Oil, and not having knowledge of who the packagers and bottlers are, I don't intent to run this oil in any of my vehicles.

However, this oil may be fine for an engine flush or to clean an engine with some diesel fuel or MMO for a short run.

But...then again....there are plenty of "cheap oils" on the market to use, for cleaning up a sludged engine or routine maintenance, so stocking up on Spectrum Oil is not really necessary.

In the early 80's the landscaper that I worked for used Spectrum oil in his Chevy work trucks. He changed it out at 3,000-4,000 miles. All three trucks developed excessive cam wear after 60,000+ miles. I used it in my 1974 Monty Carlo as well and it had excessive cam wear. I later read that some Chevy 350 engines were built with faulty cams which lead to the wear, but I never went back to the Spectrum oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back