Does anyone still make 2 Cycle Push Mowers?

HI Mike,

I am not sure where in Ill you are located. I am in STL and have 2 of the Duraforce models like pictured in Skyactiv's post above. Both are good machines that have been well taken care of, and I would like to sell them. Any idea what they are worth?
Hi Wrenchturner44, They are worth whatever someone will pay. List one for what you would like to get on Craiglist and see what offers you get. My interest in Lawn Boys are models from the 70's.

Hi Wrenchturner44, They are worth whatever someone will pay. List one for what you would like to get on Craiglist and see what offers you get. My interest in Lawn Boys are models from the 70's.
And the member who started this thread might just live in STL and be ready to buy a 2 stroke lawn boy of any age.

@wrechturner44 check your PMs

I have been using two stroke Lawn Boy mowers for many years. It is sad they are no longer produced. When Lawn Boy dealers were closing back in the 80's and 90's I bought several parts inventories. I now assemble my own new models from these NOS parts for collection and use and not for sale. Both mowers shown are 1977 7024 models. The one on the left has never been started and the other one is used regularly. They run excellent and are even easier to maintain using the cleaner burning 50:1 two cycle oils available today.View attachment 100027
If these were mine, I 'll stop using them & just buy a beater mower. Vintage LB mowers are collector's item

Well, I think this is all settled and I have a few solid leads on the 6.5HP Duraforce Lawn Boys. This honestly turned out better than I could have hoped. I do like the 80s/90s bottom exhaust with Tecumseh engines like I grew up using(and have mowed a lot of grass with) but did have a Duraforce at one point and it worked fine.

Looking forward to getting back into mowing with these engines I like so much. My wife is a bit hesitant about me buying something older, but I made the counter argument that with as much as-in general-I hate the task of mowing, using something that's both objectively better than what we have now(more powerful, especially for when the grass gets a bit thick as ours sometimes does in the spring) and, more importantly, if I can actually get a mower I enjoy/want to use it makes the job a lot less arduous.

Well, I think this is all settled and I have a few solid leads on the 6.5HP Duraforce Lawn Boys. This honestly turned out better than I could have hoped. I do like the 80s/90s bottom exhaust with Tecumseh engines like I grew up using(and have mowed a lot of grass with) but did have a Duraforce at one point and it worked fine.

Looking forward to getting back into mowing with these engines I like so much. My wife is a bit hesitant about me buying something older, but I made the counter argument that with as much as-in general-I hate the task of mowing, using something that's both objectively better than what we have now(more powerful, especially for when the grass gets a bit thick as ours sometimes does in the spring) and, more importantly, if I can actually get a mower I enjoy/want to use it makes the job a lot less arduous.
And they sound cool too.

Mowersdirect.com I've ordered from them before . Even if you don't buy anything it's a good source of info .

8A8F9F55-F589-4103-8339-9FFB4467300B.jpeg
I mow just about every week with my 47 year old Lawn Boy 5024 Bricktop. The only work that I’ve done to it was a new primer assembly and a carb rebuild. Still fires up on the first or second pull and doesn’t stop until I shut it off. I use my “new” Lawn-Boy too, to help give my Bricktop a longer life. That 5254 is only 34 years old!

L8R,
Matt

2002 or 2003 they were still being made. I worked in a farm and home store then. The cheap steel deck lawn boys were way lighter. The fancy self propelled aluminum deck one was heavy and they had to go on the top rack of the display stand..

My Silver Series 6.5HP lawnboy could use an aluminum deck, as my steel deck has cracked. Should I spend the time and upgrade it. The mower is pretty beat up now.

2004 was last year 2 strokes were sold in usa. the robin 2 stroke is the best of them all. suzuki next. the lawnboys are actually extremly unreliable . plastic carb and ing modules problems all too common. pros never used them we used suzuki or robins mostly on toro or snapper bodies. the lawnboy F engine was best but the duraforce had more power.

2004 was last year 2 strokes were sold in usa. the robin 2 stroke is the best of them all. suzuki next. the lawnboys are actually extremly unreliable . plastic carb and ing modules problems all too common. pros never used them we used suzuki or robins mostly on toro or snapper bodies. the lawnboy F engine was best but the duraforce had more power.
There’s lawn companies around here that still run fleets of lawnboys. They‘re that reliable. In fact I just used one of mine on a client‘s overgrown hill yesterday. Chugged right through several years of dead grass.

Just mowed the neighbor's yard(she just had surgery) this morning with one of my "new" Lawnboys.

The grass was thick and wet and I really should have bagged it rather than mulched, but it didn't miss a beat other than bogging down a couple of times in really thick grass.

Yes it's smoky, but it runs great.

When everyone around you is using 4 strokes, the high pitched buzzing of a 2 stroke really stands out, though, and I got a few lingering looks using it.

Still, though, I'm super happy. The neighbors yard is also steep enough that I was glad ot have self propelled.

Assuming the weather clears better this afternoon, my wife wants to go out and take a ride in the MG. There's a station in a little rural town about a half hour away that sells E0, so I can fill the MG and a couple of cans up with E0. I also ordered some genuine Lawnboy 2 stroke oil, which Toro still sells(I guess they keep the brand alive for the 2 stroke weedeaters/etc they still make).

I used a 10323 for several years mowing a fairly steep slope that would kill an unpressurized 4 stroke due to oil starvation when I found out they were discontinued I started scouring Craigslist and now I have three. One was $25 and only needed a new primer bulb to get it running again.

FYI the 6.5 hp engine on these mowers actually is a bottom exhaust. If you turn one over there’s a box that contains a U that diverts the exhaust back up thru the muffler. I discovered this when mine popped loose and it got noticeably louder.

no way any big lawn company is still running lawnboys. many of the important parts like the pull start are NLA. never said they wernt powerfull -thay are -just a lot of work to keep using commercially. i have at least 20 and stopped using them several years ago. the robins and suzukis just work! every day and for 20+ years of commercial duty. problem now is parts -just like lawnboy many parts NLA. take apart a suzuki. you will be amazed at the durability of the parts used. the lawn boy isnt even close in build quality. the robin is legendary! i have half a dozen 30 years of commercial duty and still start one or 2 pulls and run all day . the robin was built by subaru

no way any big lawn company is still running lawnboys. many of the important parts like the pull start are NLA. never said they wernt powerfull -thay are -just a lot of work to keep using commercially. i have at least 20 and stopped using them several years ago. the robins and suzukis just work! every day and for 20+ years of commercial duty. problem now is parts -just like lawnboy many parts NLA. take apart a suzuki. you will be amazed at the durability of the parts used. the lawn boy isnt even close in build quality. the robin is legendary! i have half a dozen 30 years of commercial duty and still start one or 2 pulls and run all day . the robin was built by subaru
I bought two commercial lawnboys last year from a company that was finally retiring their entire fleet. They had about 14 or so for sale and I picked out two I liked. The guy said he would keep using them if he could but it was just getting to be too much waiting time for parts.

had a good 4 stroke rear drive snapper BUT damp wet grass clogged the side discharge chute + for 15 years + going my rear discharge rear drive honda that replaced it is going strong + i could prolly mow in the rain as the wide discharge rear door NEVER clogs + close the door + remove the bag + you have a great mulcher, 2 blades are standard so no changeouts!!

I bought two commercial lawnboys last year from a company that was finally retiring their entire fleet. They had about 14 or so for sale and I picked out two I liked. The guy said he would keep using them if he could but it was just getting to be too much waiting time for parts.
the epa leaned on toro and made some of the vital parts NLA like the recoil pull start! better start hoarding them. i have 1 good one left.

Back