Does anyone put heat shrink tubing over a connector plug?

Say a main wiring harness plug where it has those plastic connectors that connect all the individual wires together. Anyone ever unplug the connector then slide the heat shrink tubing over and then shrink it down after connecting back together? I haven't looked to see how large of a diameter they make heat shrink tubing though. I have a wiring harness plug on my lawn mower that gets wet everytime it rains and i'm surprised after 5 years it hasn't started causing an issue yet. I want to make this connector water proof.

I guess you could. The mower sits outside? I'd fill the plug ends with die-electric grease and before I shrunk the tubing down.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Certain connectors have a gasket inside along with plugs for the wire itself, to make it waterproof.

I don't think that is the case with this particular connector.

Originally Posted by oldhp
I guess you could. The mower sits outside? I'd fill the plug ends with die-electric grease and before I shrunk the tubing down.

The mower is used commercially, so whenever it rains it's going to get wet.

You could always swap that connector out for a waterproof model. Not the easiest thing ever, but far from super difficult.

The problem with heat shrink is, depending on the size of the connector and wires, you'll probably not get one that will shrink down enough to seal against the wires. If you can't seal the backside of the connector, there's no sense in sealing the middle really.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Say a main wiring harness plug where it has those plastic connectors that connect all the individual wires together. Anyone ever unplug the connector then slide the heat shrink tubing over and then shrink it down after connecting back together? I haven't looked to see how large of a diameter they make heat shrink tubing though. I have a wiring harness plug on my lawn mower that gets wet everytime it rains and i'm surprised after 5 years it hasn't started causing an issue yet. I want to make this connector water proof.

I often use liquid tape.

if you apply heat shrink will end the end the heat shrink be out of the rain? where the heat shrink ends on a bundle of wires will not be waterproof, any water that does get in will have a much harder time drying.

I do sometimes when i make any electrical repair on my car.

If the connectors are large, you can use 2 different sizes of tubing. Use 3 pieces, the largest on the middle (for the connectors) and then you can use the 2 small pieces of tubing, to seal the ends on each side of the large one you used for the connector.

You can also use dielectric Grease around the connectors.

Harbor fright sell self vulcanizing tape, it welds into an continuous piece. Only sticks to itself. It is soft and easy to remove. Forms of this are used on military applications so it is proven. Like 5 bucks a roll. Seperate connector, clean off all corrosion. Pack cavity with die-electric silicone. Then wrap with tape.

Rod

Weather pack connector don't need any help.

I do worry about GND eyelets rotting off frame and body and engine block - due to galvanic action.

For some of our exposed stuff, we put a paraffin wax

I would not use Silicone or RTV other than spray it yearly with "Wire Dry"

Last edited:
Tie up the connector so the wires slope down away from it so that any rain water doesn't run down the wires into the connector. This should be part of the design of the machine in the first place. If you want additional protection, tape is preferable. But nothing is going to seal between the wires in the bundle. Gravity is your friend.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman

If this is a commercial mower then it'll have the triple flange gasket seals, at least my Wright and my Ferris have them for all of the electrical connections which are the small multi wire type.
If not, buy some NO-OX-ID and coat the inside of the connections, it is far superior to dielectric grease.

Back