Does anyone own a Remington 20 inch pushmower?

I am considering buying a cheap pushmower, I was going to buy a Hypertough mower from Walmart, but none of the Walmarts in or around my area seem to have any, they all have Remington 20 inch pushmowers, I am wondering if anyone might own one & if so is it a reliable mower? I would be using it on a very small yard, I am currently using a Murray 22ich with a Briggs L head engine that's on year 10 & still running strong, but thinking about getting a new one & handing down my old one to someone in need of a solid mower with plenty of life left in it.

You're probably better off keeping what you have. Those Remington's seem to be as cheaply made as they can possibly be and I think they're like $250. That's a $99 mower x 2.5 inflation adjustment. They don't have wheel adjusters so you need a wrench to adjust the mowing height. I don't know about the engine but I'm sure you're not getting anything designed to outlast the 90 day warranty.

I had a lady give me an old 20" Murray and that thing's been amazing. It wouldn't run when she gave it to me and it didn't have an air filter but after replacing the water in the fuel tank for some actual gasoline and installing an air filter it has become my trimming mower of choice.

If the Remington were $99 - $149 like it was designed to be then I'd be inclined to buy one. At $250 (noticed it's on rollback for $218) I'd pass.

PS: those old Briggs & Stratton L-head engines are incredible! Parts are cheap, readily available, and I think they'd survive a nuclear attack with only minor cylinder scoring :)

You stated You will be using it in a very small yard. I have no idea how large your yard is, but I've seen people with a tiny yard that would be best served with a corded mower.

Keep the Murray. One thing overlooked on old mowers are the wheels. They often get wallored out. Replacing them will make the mower maneuver like new again. You could upgrade the rear wheels with bearings. The rear wheels on the base Honda push mower have bearings.

An example of a yard where a corded mower would be ideal:

small yard.jpg

They are a typical cheap mower with non-adjustable wheels, but they have a Briggs OHV engine. I think you might do better finding a local used $100 push mower for your friend and keeping yours, or giving them yours and using it as an excuse to upgrade. I think you just might miss your old one if you go from the Murray to the Remington.

They are a typical cheap mower with non-adjustable wheels, but they have a Briggs OHV engine. I think you might do better finding a local used $100 push mower for your friend and keeping yours, or giving them yours and using it as an excuse to upgrade. I think you just might miss your old one if you go from the Murray to the Remington.
A “made in China” Briggs overhead valve engine. Which reminds me, we call the Honda clones “Chondas”, what we call the Briggs? ”Chiggs”?

i bought one of the hyper tough 20inch pushers 3 years ago still going strong i would bet Remington is the same thing just different brand stamp and possibly different price

I own a 20" remington mower. Owned it for two years. No complaints. I use it for trim mowing around my acreage. Battery life could be a little short for a larger yard, but space on the mower is available for a second battery. After the battery is spent, it takes several hours for it to cool and then get recharged. For me that is not an issue, but needing to cut a larger yard would lead me to a second battery choice.

A “made in China” Briggs overhead valve engine. Which reminds me, we call the Honda clones “Chondas”, what we call the Briggs? ”Chiggs”?
You'll have to pay a lot more to find a mower without an engine made in China.

Not saying I'd own one, but at least the OHV Briggs is quiet and you can find parts for them.

Consider buying used at Craigslist. I bought my backup mower for $30. It has a problem, the cord is messed up but I fixed it without buying a new cord. Most homeowners don't know how to fix their power equipments, it's either they sell it cheap or just leave it in the curbside for someone to pick it up. But you canbuy a used one that works perfectly well at a bargain price

How big of a yard? I know those cheap one seem like a good deal, but they're not that great. I'd considered something self propelled from Honda or Torro, if it's a bigger yard. Plus, you'll enjoy mowing much more.

How big of a yard? I know those cheap one seem like a good deal, but they're not that great. I'd considered something self propelled from Honda or Torro, if it's a bigger yard. Plus, you'll enjoy mowing much more.
It takes maybe a total of 15 minutes to mow if that.

Back