Does anyone make a clear plastic rollup partition to hang behind the front seats to enhance A/C output?

Something like a rollup window shade made of clear vinyl material mounted on a spring loaded extension rod attached to the b pillar behind the front seats. When nobody is in the rear seats, you can roll it down to the floor and block off the space behind it so the a/c only has to cool half the interior. The a/c would work much better, especially on wagons and SUVs.

Most SUV’s have a dedicated rear evaporator. The cabin vents are generally in the back of the vehicle as well, I wouldn’t want to block or restrict airflow to those at all.

I sure thought about it when i had a cargo van, perhaps a shower curtain type setup. It had decent AC but having to cool that giant area from just the front was an uphill battle.

Crazy van prices had me selling it for a Yukon xl that has rear AC and generally more powerful AC all around.

This is for only when you have people in the front seats.
Not those vents, there are other vents that prevent pressure from building up within the cabin. They’re not hooked up to anything.
757C2CF9-AB67-4397-89F2-879177E68CEC.jpeg

My 91 full size Bronco had the worst HVAC of any vehicle I've ever owned. I swear it was designed with the F150 Standard cab in mind. Here is what I did and it did work, I purchased a clothes hangar bar that attaches to each clothes hanger on each side and used a shower curtain to close it off.

Are you running in recirc mode? Or fresh? A big challenge is dealing with the humidity. Recirc mode gets rid of the humidity and can then cool the air. Fresh mode only gets one shot through the coil and is limited by the humidity load. I don’t remember this being an item with my older cars, but the newer ones absolutely seem to be designed to work best around recirc.

Nothing wrong with the a/c and clear plastic doesn't restrict visibility any more than a plastic window in a convertible. If only half the car needs to be cooled, it will cool down faster and have to work less staying cool.

Nothing wrong with the a/c and clear plastic doesn't restrict visibility any more than a plastic window in a convertible. If only half the car needs to be cooled, it will cool down faster and have to work less staying cool.

You missed something.

If you have a glass rear window and you hang a sheet of clear plastic behind the front seats, I guarantee you will have issues with rearward visibility.

Just get one of those lexan barriers the police cars have. I'm sure you can find a Crown Vic for sale with one!

Something like a rollup window shade made of clear vinyl material mounted on a spring loaded extension rod attached to the b pillar behind the front seats. When nobody is in the rear seats, you can roll it down to the floor and block off the space behind it so the a/c only has to cool half the interior. The a/c would work much better, especially on wagons and SUVs.
Most SUVs have rear vents either under seat or specific vents and sometimes additional controls? Maybe older stuff they ignore rear.

You have something old school?

Remember also cold air goes to bottom while heat rises.

Good luck

I was thinking about my Taurus wagon. Why try to cool 2/3 of the cabin behind the front seats needlessly. It's already ice cold but with an air curtain the fan speed could be lower and it would be more efficient.

Back