Does anyone here with a Ram 1500 eco-diesel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can make up torque with gearing, you just have to spin the motor faster. If both engines are making 400hp at a given road speed (with one geared to spin much faster than the other), despite the slow-spinning diesel making more torque at the crank, once we factor in gearing, the torque at the wheels will be identical for both.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Interesting discussions - torque is what gets work done and horsepower is how fast you get that work done. In theory you could tow a house up the Eisenhower Pass with a weedwhacker engine. It just may not make it to the top in our lifetimes!

This is why I love my Ecoboosts. Flat torque curve like a Diesel, great torque AND horsepower. They run like Diesels - spooling up the turbos to go up hills vs downshift, etc.

The downside is they are thirsty when run hard.

The upside is the cost to acquire is less, the cost for fuel is less, and the maintenance is less. Running the #'s it may be a little cheaper over 100k.

If you're thinking Diesel you really should take an EB out for a spin. All the advantages of a Diesel and none of the disadvantages. There's a reason they are the king of the hill in towing with a 1/2 ton.

Agreed, the EB trucks behave like a diesel that learned how to rev when you want it to. It's a pretty addictive powerband. The MPG isn't any better than other gas trucks if you're working it hard, but idling around or driving gently unloaded they do pretty well.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: another Todd
I'll be driving everything for sure. For the kind of money they want for new trucks I will definitely be doing my homework.

Driving them is the key. My Wife and I researched over a year on the big 3 trucks, then took out vehicles for 1 or 2 day test drives.

I can't believe anyone wouldn't notice the same things we did.

Don't just do a 20 minute test drive...

My dealer gave me my charger for a 24hr test drive.
Smart guy. I think he knew if I had that much seat time I wouldn't bring it back

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: another Todd
I'll be driving everything for sure. For the kind of money they want for new trucks I will definitely be doing my homework.

Driving them is the key. My Wife and I researched over a year on the big 3 trucks, then took out vehicles for 1 or 2 day test drives.

I can't believe anyone wouldn't notice the same things we did.

Don't just do a 20 minute test drive...

My dealer gave me my charger for a 24hr test drive.
Smart guy. I think he knew if I had that much seat time I wouldn't bring it back

Ha ha, that is an old school trick right there.

Not too "tricky" to put 150 miles on a brand new truck. One dealer let us have 3 trucks in succession.

That's a lot of equity on the line with no guarantee of a sale. After all was said and done, we drove 6 trucks about 125-150 miles each.

I say these are simply good dealers who want a happy client...

I have driven all the new ones except the 2015 F150 and the Tundra, I'm Ram shopping.

My buddy is buying a 2015 F150 Ecoboost as soon as he can actually test drive and look at them, so in the next month or two I expect. It will be interesting to see how it does. The numbers say it should be faster than the Ram.

Last edited:
The 2015 F150 should regain the crown from the Ram. It wasn't till the 8 speed that Ram finally topped the Ecoboost in performance. And it was close so I'd imagine a diet will fix that "issue".
smile.gif

The 15's are showing up at dealers around here (Central PA) so I'd imagine they will be in CT shortly. And, yes with pictures of actual trucks, not just VIN's. With that being said, no reason to settle for a Ram.
grin.gif

I'm betting that if you drive both and then look at the price tag the winner will be Ram.

Ford ain't what it used to be and the examples I drove were classic pickup trucks with the ride and handling to match.

Let us know if you see 15k more truck at the Ford dealer...

The 2014 F150 was the oldest of the 3 so it definitely did lag in many areas.

Most reviews peg the 2015 as a huge leap forward in the ride department.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-ford-f-150-35l-ecoboost-4x4-test-review

Now that it's the newest the interior looks to be best in class.

And statistically the Ford (and GM) will be more reliable than anything from Chrysler. Mopar fans' anecdotal evidence aside. You can only cut so many costs before it begins to show and now that they broke Ram into it's own brand we can quantify that.

In the end you have to decide what works for you.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
The numbers say it should be faster than the Ram.

When buying a truck, is this a big concern for you or other buyers? I'm more concerned with price, comfort, economy, and work capability. I really couldn't care if my friends truck goes up a hill 2 seconds faster than mine.

Originally Posted By: whip

When buying a truck, is this a big concern for you or other buyers? I'm more concerned with price, comfort, economy, and work capability. I really couldn't care if my friends truck goes up a hill 2 seconds faster than mine.

I concur with work capability in my case meaning towing.

Originally Posted By: whip

Its just and interesting foot note.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
The 2015 F150 should regain the crown from the Ram. It wasn't till the 8 speed that Ram finally topped the Ecoboost in performance. And it was close so I'd imagine a diet will fix that "issue".
smile.gif

The 15's are showing up at dealers around here (Central PA) so I'd imagine they will be in CT shortly. And, yes with pictures of actual trucks, not just VIN's. With that being said, no reason to settle for a Ram.
grin.gif

I don't consider it settling, once he sees what Ford wants he might change his mind.

BTW I could Z plan a 2015 F150 if I wanted bringing the prices right in line. I just don't think its a good looking truck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back