Does anyone here have the new Corolla Cross?

How do you like it? I like the idea of a hatchback Corolla. I wonder why it took Toyota so long to offer one?

I just rented one...not impressed. I know it's a low price point but extremely cheap plastics inside. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is soft-touch. It's also severely lacking on power. It was comfortable enough but that's about all I can say that is positive.

Test driving will help you decide.
Assuming that because it’s a Toyota, it’ll be reasonably reliable.
And if it isn’t as reliable as it should be, Toyotas high resale value should bring a good price at sale or trade-in time. They’re not particularly engaging to drive though the’re getting better. Toyota’s are the type of vehicles the just go about their business without calling much attention to themselves.

Last edited:
How do you like it? I like the idea of a hatchback Corolla. I wonder why it took Toyota so long to offer one?
I will solve your wondering... they did offer one.. you just missed it for 5 years. since 2019 model year.

To compare with subaru:
The corolla cross is basically their version of the crosstrek.. where the corolla hatchback would be the impreza hatch.

I think it is really good looking and mature and I really like the dark green color, but still too small unless you are small framed. The Rav4 is better in general.

Matrix and Pontiac Vibe
The the iM hatch.

They've always had them, though not necessarily wanted enough.

My mom bought a Matrix first gen back in the day and it is still around.

I just rented one...not impressed. I know it's a low price point but extremely cheap plastics inside. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is soft-touch. It's also severely lacking on power. It was comfortable enough but that's about all I can say that is positive.
Probably the gas only model?
If so, not surprised it lacked on power.
Hybrid should be much better, same situation with the RAV4 gas vs RAV4 Hybrid.

We had a '13 MATRIX base with the 1.8 Ltr. engine and 4 speed auto . Was 1st year in U.S.. Liked how the rear window itself would lift up .

We had a '13 MATRIX base with the 1.8 Ltr. engine and 4 speed auto . Was 1st year in U.S.. Liked how the rear window itself would lift up .
Strangely enough, for as much as the Matrix was like the Corolla, I never could figure out why it got such poor fuel economy compared to the Corolla. It was basically the same car with a hatchback...same engine, same tranny...was it a lot heavier? What accounts for the difference in MPGs?

Strangely enough, for as much as the Matrix was like the Corolla, I never could figure out why it got such poor fuel economy compared to the Corolla. It was basically the same car with a hatchback...same engine, same tranny...was it a lot heavier? What accounts for the difference in MPGs?
Aerodynamics, maybe they chaged final drive ratio too.

The IM was available in Canada in 2017-2018. It was a Corolla hatch.
1697825582685.jpg

We had the MATRIX base with an 4 speed auto . Curb weight looks to be 2,778 with the auto . The 2003 COROLLA w/ the 4 speed weighs 2,590 , so that's another reason for less M.P.G.. Did get good trade in for it , sold with in a day or 2 .

Bumping this thread, as I'm curious now about it. Now that I own a Corolla... my tolerance for hard plastics has improved. ;)

I did a quick glance at some reviews, and it sounds like it's underpowered, as it's the sedan engine but with more weight and drag. Thus less mpg. Hybrid is better of course.

RAV4 is better, and of course more costly.

I'm only looking as I'm wondering if I need a backup to our 20 year old CRV. Well, make my 20 year old CRV a backup instead. Well, replace the vehicle the daughter wrecked... TBH I think I'd be ok with another Corolla, as long as it had the 2.0 and some tow capacity listed somewhere in the world, I really want the ability to move my 4x8 trailer around again (the 1.8/CVT has a rating of zero elsewhere in the world). And something with VSC...

Back