Does anyone else lament the demise of the V8?

I've never had a v8, but as a point of view from somebody on the outside looking in, it is a shame to see them die considering how some of them sound when they are left OEM or are thoughtfully modified. I got my first taste of engine lust from a friend's 71 Chevelle SS that was 100% stock and original. That was a beautiful sound that I will never forget. What I don't enjoy is when people take what once was a perfectly good exhaust setup, rip it all out and straight pipe it. These engines can go from beautifully sonorous to obnoxious in one bad decision, as seen in the hands of the locals who floor it on the main road, just a block my house. I guess you could say with great power comes great responsibility, because I don't think anybody really wants to hear that noise.

I may have the opportunity to own an S550 Mustang 5.0 someday, but I'm not sure I'll ever find a need for that much power for inner-city driving. But I have been known to make decisions that didn't involve need.

I for one love the 4 cylinders turbos, we have 2 a 2019 Q5 and 2021 Cayman. Fantastic power and great fuel economy. Havent had a V8 in years and quite happy

Here are the advertised gas mileage figures for the 2022 Silverado, 4 wheel drive, with the 8 speed transmission. The highway gas mileage number is 20 mpg for both. The gas mileage in town is 17 for the 2.7 and 15 for the 5.3. Not much to crow about. The engineers at GM must be disappointed.

Also, the 6.2 with a 10 speed gets the same gas mileage as the 5.3 with the 8 speed. For heavy vehicles, it’s hard to beat low revving large displacement engines, even today.

View attachment 119603View attachment 119604
I giggle to myself sometimes on the freeway when I see a newer V8 pickup. That big ole brick is getting the same mpg as my GS400 & they have a larger engine 😂

I for one love the 4 cylinders turbos, we have 2 a 2019 Q5 and 2021 Cayman. Fantastic power and great fuel economy. Havent had a V8 in years and quite happy
It’s not like Porsche had a history of V-8, though…

But the 928 sure had a sweet sounding engine.

The 390 + cubic inch Chevrolet, Chrysler or Ford engines are certaily a pleasure to drive. These days a turbo 4 or 6 gives plenty of power and gets twice the mpgs when not being pushed hard .

Times change and one scenario I'm sad to see go is the basic car with a V8 and highway gears driven "out West" on open roads.
The V8 can turn slower and last longer. But even in the "good old days" lots of the available power was wasted. Higher mpg's back then required premium gas and higher combustion chamber temps.

Vast improvements in engine design means smaller engines are OK substitutes. Bringing V8's up to modern standards makes them " shining stars" for which you'll pay.

SARDONIC HUMOR: If "tree huggers" took away your V8's (c'mon) are V8 lovers "Earth chokers? <this is a joke.

Rear suspension looks like that bcs. on Tahoe it is independent one. Reason for that is that it makes third row much more comfortable and knees are not hitting your chin. That was biggest complaint by users who used it for family hauling. Blame people who don’t want to be seen in a minivan, which is much better family hauler than any Tahoe or similar vehicle.
Our new unit certainly rides better than the 2017 … and yes, past our mini van days - like some clearance for sand …

If things go the way they have been going in the last 10 years, IC engines in general will become irrelevant.

Here is an animation of a common V8 firing order. You will notice that 2 cylinders on each bank fire in succession, followed by a skip. This results in the classic and distinct V8 sound, both at low RPM and at high RPM. Besides the very smooth operation of modern V8 engines, the firing order is directly responsible for the very pleasant nature of the engine. In other words, when many hours are spent behind the wheel, it is not fatiguing. Most other designs produce an even drone sound, which can be bothersome, even if a motorist is unaware of it.

My wife, for example loves the V8 F150 and won't even drive the 2 V6 Ecoboost versions I have 2.7 and 3.5. She is utterly unaware of the reasons why.

Agree 100%
Also if you listen to a V-8 with a flat plane crankshaft----Oh the sound of that revving to it's redline!!
I'm not a Ford enthusiast, but the one I heard was a Mustang with a Coyote 5.0L flat plane crank and, WOW!

It’s not like Porsche had a history of V-8, though…

But the 928 sure had a sweet sounding engine.
Yes, was a corvette guy for years 1971 LS5, 1980 L-82 and finally 1996 LT1. When I finally bought my first porsche 2014 911 the level of refinement was unreal. I must admit nothing sounds as good a big block chevy from back in the day though.

Agree 100%
Also if you listen to a V-8 with a flat plane crankshaft----Oh the sound of that revving to it's redline!!
I'm not a Ford enthusiast, but the one I heard was a Mustang with a Coyote 5.0L flat plane crank and, WOW!

Can't agree. I adore the sound of a cross plane V8. It has to be my all time favourite engine sound.

Flat plane crank V8's just sound like jumped up 4 pots.

I definitely wish Toyota would have offered the 5.7 in the 2022 tundras and sequoia, but things change. I love my 5.7 v8. Only thing I would trade it for is one of those Toyota twin turbo diesel swaps that a certain shop does (can't remember their name) but that's $30k +. Needless to say I'm keeping my 5.7 till it's completely impractical to drive anymore. It's a truly well engineer engine.

I’ve commuted in a couple V8’s over the last ten years, both actually gave me half decent fuel economy, power, sound, performance. Both also ended up with rather annoying oil consumption problems (both were direct injected V8’s). Do I miss either one of them now that I’m commuting in a V6 non direct injected ZERO oil consumption, better fuel economy, almost the same performance/power? Nope.

I’d be more concerned with the eventual extinction of ICE vehicles in general. Some day, sooner than probably later, we are going to be plugging in our vehicles and telling stories about how we used to drive a vehicle with an actual engine in it. I’m more concerned with that.
My 5.3 Direct Injection uses no oil between oil changes which is 5K miles. Oil still looks good [medium amber look] at 5K miles. I have 138K miles on it. Still gets 23+MPG on 87 octane if it is all highway miles. I use either 0w20 Mobil 1 EP or 0w20 AC Delco oil.

My 5.3 Direct Injection uses no oil between oil changes which is 5K miles. Oil still looks good [medium amber look] at 5K miles. I have 138K miles on it. Still gets 23+MPG on 87 octane if it is all highway miles. I use either 0w20 Mobil 1 EP or 0w20 AC Delco oil.
Our 2017 does not use oil … too soon to tell on the 2022 …

My 2016 5.3 direct injection Silverado began consuming a half quart in under 5,000 miles at around 12,000 miles, and around a quart at 30,000...and then came the misfire codes at 39,000 miles. Then the shudder when going up hills doing around 65 on the highway. Traded it in with 52,000 miles two years ago. I used whatever 0W20 synthetic I could find on sale or rebate...usually RTG, Pennzoil Platinum or Super Tech.

I definitely wish Toyota would have offered the 5.7 in the 2022 tundras and sequoia, but things change. I love my 5.7 v8. Only thing I would trade it for is one of those Toyota twin turbo diesel swaps that a certain shop does (can't remember their name) but that's $30k +. Needless to say I'm keeping my 5.7 till it's completely impractical to drive anymore. It's a truly well engineer engine.
I own Prado 3.0 D-4D.
Be lucky you are not venturing into Toyota diesels.

I bought my truck with its 460 engine for towing. Buy the tool to do the job. Buy what works for you. I do keep seeing videos of small four-cylinder vehicles with twin turbos and they have reliability issues and coolant leak problems. Make sure and have a warranty and free towing if you are into these complex setups. I like the rumble of a v8 over the fart can four bangers I hear.

Reactions: wtd
More often than not I tend to buy 4 or 6 cylinder Japanese or Korean vehicles. That is just what I've seemed to have the best luck with. I've owned 2 V-8's out of the nearly 30 cars I've had. A Dodge Ram with the 5.9 liter 360 and a Chevy Scottsdale with the 5.7 liter 350. I'll always love the sound of an American V-8. I really won't miss them though. They will still be around in classic cars and trucks probably at least for the rest of my lifetime.

Back