Does anyone else lament the demise of the V8?

There was a good reason why the powerglide was called a "slushbox".............
Tom, a jolly eastern-European transmission shop owner speaking to a young me after I'd enquired about upgrading from a Powerglide to a TH350:

"Boy, Tom love Powerglide and hate it. I love it because is best transmission ever made - it never break. I hate it because if all transmission like Powerglide, Tom have no job."

Tom, a jolly eastern-European transmission shop owner speaking to a young me after I'd enquired about upgrading from a Powerglide to a TH350:

"Boy, Tom love Powerglide and hate it. I love it because is best transmission ever made - it never break. I hate it because if all transmission like Powerglide, Tom have no job."
The six speed in the 2018 Silverado I just traded in shifted like a slushhbox. That's why it's gone.....

Why there no v8 ?
EPA, tree huggers, etc. lol
27.gif

V8's have never been common over here. But the V6's and i6's have slowly disappeared and been replaced by turbocharged 4's.

I love listening to engines but the majority of 4 pots bore me. Flat 4's with unequal length headers and N/A high revving 4 pots on ITB's are the exception.

Here are the advertised gas mileage figures for the 2022 Silverado, 4 wheel drive, with the 8 speed transmission. The highway gas mileage number is 20 mpg for both. The gas mileage in town is 17 for the 2.7 and 15 for the 5.3. Not much to crow about. The engineers at GM must be disappointed.

Also, the 6.2 with a 10 speed gets the same gas mileage as the 5.3 with the 8 speed. For heavy vehicles, it’s hard to beat low revving large displacement engines, even today.

DC3904FB-A103-4413-B55B-088BABBF0A1E.png
D23ED013-9696-437F-8B4F-0D0C8DDB4C86.png

Last edited:
Lament ? Just bought a new 5.3L mated to a 10 speed - really like it …
Whilst I love my Rubicon - that V6 sounds like a diesel in comparison …

I’ve commuted in a couple V8’s over the last ten years, both actually gave me half decent fuel economy, power, sound, performance. Both also ended up with rather annoying oil consumption problems (both were direct injected V8’s). Do I miss either one of them now that I’m commuting in a V6 non direct injected ZERO oil consumption, better fuel economy, almost the same performance/power? Nope.

I’d be more concerned with the eventual extinction of ICE vehicles in general. Some day, sooner than probably later, we are going to be plugging in our vehicles and telling stories about how we used to drive a vehicle with an actual engine in it. I’m more concerned with that.

Reactions: JTK
I fooled with small and big block chevys during the '70s(My Misspent Street Racing Youth). Since then, the only other V8 I have owned was the unimpressive 302 in the beyond miserable 1973 Bronco I inherited from my father. I have to admit that I'm tempted by a new Mach 1 or an SS2 1LE, but at the end of the day, the N55 turbo six in my 2er delivers similar performance while retuning over 32 mpg at an 80 mph cruising speed. Nevertheless, I mourn the passing of the V8, V10, and V12 motors; it's the end of a golden age we will likely never see again.

I will when it happens. I love the sound of a V8 with a nice exhaust and the simplicity of most of them over the turbo charged 4's and V6's. I will keep mine going as long as possible.

Growing up in the 90's and driving in the mid 2000's, I have only owned one V8 and coincidentally it's the same exact vehicle parents had when I was 11....- a 112K mile 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L. from the sunshine state. Picked it in up around 2013 with multiple misfires for 450 dollars and clean title. The seller did not want to fix misfires and was tired of seeing it in the driveway also from what I remember gas was over 4$ a gallon at the time.

7 new coil packs later all misfire were fixed but I only kept that car for a little while and well to be honest do not miss the V8 (or the car :LOL:) in the least. It "could" get 25 MPG on highway but that V8 was all TQ down low and not a 6K plus revver... and while the V8 was smooth... It was pretty slow all the time plus guzzled gas out of the 21 gal tank.

Ive never drove a SRT8 or C-300 or any modern v8 so I don't know what im missing.

Im very happy with Twin turbo V6's or even turbo 4's in normal daily drivers. My current daily is neither - just a big 4 cylinder and manual transmission and have not been disappointed with this combo either.

I will when it happens. I love the sound of a V8 with a nice exhaust and the simplicity of most of them over the turbo charged 4's and V6's. I will keep mine going as long as possible.
I've never owned a turbo 4, but have had many loaners. imho if all a person knew were that, it'd probably be ok--plenty of torque. But what a racket the way that it's achieved. Imagine if growing up we had such 4 cyls? They'd be outrageous in a great way. I'm talking like the original VW GTi or Porsche 944. It's a feeling of dread to me, thinking one day I would be spending A LOT of money on a EV or 4 cyl turbo. We're being "trained" as consumers to pay more, for less. 52 oz orange juice that is a half gallon. Or get $800 off of an overpriced cell phone, by giving us your old one that we can resell for $600. In both cases, 2010 was better--the OJ was 59 oz lol and the top of the line smart phone was $599 with a 2 year contract (subsidized--this is still the arrangement with corporate accounts, and briefly available with consumers when a new phone comes out and you get the old one). Stuffing 6 cyl. into premium well over $100k vehicles is disheartening...

Reactions: wtd
Both engine designs have their place, but I expect we will continue to see more small displacement engines with forced induction.

I have had NA V8s since I first started driving, but I have to admit the 3.5 Ecoboost in our Expedition is very impressive. It gets better mileage than any of the other V8 powered SUVs we have had, and the performance is excellent. 115K miles, and all it has needed is a set of spark plugs and a throttle body.

Both engine designs have their place, but I expect we will continue to see more small displacement engines with forced induction.

I have had NA V8s since I first started driving, but I have to admit the 3.5 Ecoboost in our Expedition is very impressive. It gets better mileage than any of the other V8 powered SUVs we have had, and the performance is excellent. 115K miles, and all it has needed is a set of spark plugs and a throttle body.
My uncle had a Suburban like the one in your pic. external oil cooler hose burst, engine seized. They were able to replace the bearing caps by cheating from underneath, back on the road. Us shade trees are able to do much less on those fancy new engines, I even heard VW is locking out experts with software to include indie shops. So the old V8s will always have their places in our garages, as we spend our way into the future....I won't deny I love the idea of a dashboard that's really a screen, and being able to modify views, collect stats, etc.

I have had V8s, turbo 4s, N/A 4s, N/A V6s, Supercharged V6s, 1 diesel.

I like my V8s, but have no problems with anything else. My old Turbo Mopars had their issues but I liked them and theydid pretty well
My Malibu with the 2.0 LTG turbo might be the best car I have ever owned, better than my Accord, better than my Jetta, better than my Camry.
Slowly closing in on 90,000 miles. Not one mechanical issue. Brakes, Tires, Plugs and fluids. I can't remember the last time I opened the hood on it.

I have had 6 different 3800 cars and they have all been pretty good.

I don't feel like a turbo 4 in a truck is necessarily the best choice for pulling something like my 32 foot travel trailer or the 8000lbs parade float I tow for long distances or lots of years. A turbo 4 has its place in the towing world, but for duty cycle give me a my old 6.0 pushrod V8.

I will say the Caprice has been favorite car to own. 400RWHP/400FT/lbs of torque from 1500RPM to 5500ish. That was just with the swap of a cam. Stock heads, stock manifolds, stock intake.

I was under the impression that with Ford and gm investing in their new pushrod, large displacement heavy duty truck V8s, that the V8 is far from it's demise. Maybe it'll be relegated to trucks 3/4 and up in the future, and maybe it'll run on something besides gasoline, but I don't see the V8 being near it's end as a viable option. Right now things are a lot like they were in the early 2000s, and no domestic manufacturer was offering a V8 in a sedan at that time besides Ford in their panther platform. The V8 survived the mid 2000s gas price increases. I just don't see it going away completely anytime soon.

I miss the real v8's that made a lazy 400+ HP and 500 Ft lb off idle.

Only electric pull like old school big blocks.

The watered down stuff we get today isnt very exciting.
Like in the 60's "gross hp" V8's? Being born in 1976, I grew up with terrible V8's, like a truly lazy 150-200hp and 300ftlbs... And so until pretty recently, production gas V8's just seemed kind of bad to me... Don't rev, terrible mileage all the time, not much hp really, and a big heavy iron block to make sure whatever they got put in was super nose heavy and didn't handle that well...

Now the recent ones with the aluminum blocks, and an honest 400hp at the crank, are impressive to run and hear, and compete very well with the smaller turbo motors IMO. I don't tow heavy enough to need a pickup at all, but if I did, a gas V8 would do the trick over an ecoboost anyways...

Back