Does anyone else lament the demise of the V8?

i lament the demise of cars as actual cars, including a choice of v8 engines, and the rise of electronic nannies for people who refuse to actually drive, rolling “green virtue signaling” machines, entertainment systems bolted onto four wheels and car makers with no “car people” at their helms.

hehe I don't think V10,V12,V16 were ever for "common folk..." A V12 has primary and secondary balance, I've never even driven one. Sad to say likely the most powerful V8 I've ever driven was in an Alpina B7, around 2009. Back then from memory it broke the 500 barrier for torque (I could be wrong). We do have a V16 at work. It's a Kohler generator

I need to get out more, while everyone is at 500+ HP and Ft. lbs...I'm still at 300 lol

:)
Let me start by saying that V-12s are simply wonderful.

But straight sixes have always been great engines. From Packard in the 1920s, through truck engines in the 40s, to Mercedes and BMW for past several decades, a straight six is smooth and powerful.

The fact that a V-12 is two sixes tells you how wonderful they really are, but I digress.

The straight six Mercedes I owned was a wonderful engine. I don’t lament the loss of a V-8 if it’s replaced by a smooth, powerful engine.

I wondered about what sounds like a tiny engine pulling a car trailer with a vehicle on it. The 2.7 might do it, but I’d lean towards the 3.5 in a Ford for my own peace of mind. Can the 2.7 pull a decent load like the old V8s?

I’ve got access to my brother’s Express 3500 van with the 6.0 if I need to tow. I’m planning to re-engine the 2008 Silverado my mom has that has a failed 5.3 sometime in the next couple of months…. Just curious about those pickups with the new small engines.. 😀
We tow a Travel Trailer with the 2.7. The performance is remarkable, it’s very similar to driving a diesel. It holds a gear and a low rpm unless you really get on it. By that I mean, it’s usually around 2k rpm and I’m not sure it’s ever had to come over 3k unless I’m trying to pass big traffic on a hill. Very different from a NA V8 which may need to hit 3-4K to make power on every uphill pass. Pretty much what I hear when it digs in is more turbo. The disadvantage, is that on long tows, if you’ve gotten tired of the radio, the turbo noise can get old. But the engine is overall much quieter and relaxing to drive.

I’ve only owned one I6 - it was a remarkably smooth power plant - a keep 4.0. I’d have no problem spending time behind one. Cummins doesn’t seem to mind it, either.

Here is an animation of a common V8 firing order. You will notice that 2 cylinders on each bank fire in succession, followed by a skip. This results in the classic and distinct V8 sound, both at low RPM and at high RPM. Besides the very smooth operation of modern V8 engines, the firing order is directly responsible for the very pleasant nature of the engine. In other words, when many hours are spent behind the wheel, it is not fatiguing. Most other designs produce an even drone sound, which can be bothersome, even if a motorist is unaware of it.

My wife, for example loves the V8 F150 and won't even drive the 2 V6 Ecoboost versions I have 2.7 and 3.5. She is utterly unaware of the reasons why.

I am amazed at the amount of power they get from a small engine now....but growing up in the muscle car days I still love to look and sound of a V8 and my three engines I love for the look and power and the 426 Chrysler Hemi...429 Boss Ford and the 427 Ford cammer...They all look fast just looking at them...

I had not owned a car with a V8 since 1975 until a year ago. Then I bought a Jaguar with a supercharged V8 that makes 575 HP and has an 8 speed ZF automatic transmission. WOW I had forgotten what pure muscle was all about. The engine displacement is only 5 liters or about the same as a Ford 302 cubic inch V8 so I am amazed at the amount of horsepower and torque that the engine produces. It sure is a lot different from a 1970's era big block 427 cubic inch carbureted engine that produced much less power and got about 40% lower MPG as well.

I've been reading up on the 3.0L Hurricane engine, the numbers look great. Here's my concerns, and the early adopters will certainly tell me if they're valid or not. Plasma transfer-wire arc coatings in the cylinders instead of a sleeved cylinder. It saves ~ 3lbs of weight per cylinder, some swear at it, some swear by it. DI only 1 injector per cylinder, do they know something mfgs. like Ford and Toyota didn't? Which is why they opted out of using 2 injectors per cylinder. I have a feeling long term the 1 injector per cylinder is going to be a problem, just like others have/had with it. Yea the 2.0 I-4 has been around a while, but not quite long enough to know how good their 1 injector per cylinder DI engines really are. I want to think this is going to be a great engine but I have some doubts. Hopefully they keep the V8 and Pentastar around in their other vehicles a few more years while they work out the Hurricane bugs.
Yes, they have been around since 1998. So exactly how much time do we need to figure out?
Any new technology has infant problems. Those were apparent in early 2000’s in VW engines that had excessive fuel dilution or CBU. Some still have that, like Subaru and Honda, but that is not bcs. technology is not mature.

I'm nit-picking but I was surprised when I saw the current Tahoe/Suburban's rear control arms and how they look when you're driving behind one...I would not know, but would they be detrimental to if going lightly off road? And black steel...

The Tahoe has had superior cargo room and we're used to that amount with our car SUV (Buick Enclave). I put a Draw Tite on myself when the car was 10 (holy rust batman! lol), to take advantage of the 1500 lb. towing capability hahahahahahaha (actually for a bike rack, and cargo carrier)

So in my dreams, I'd like a "real" SUV....and that leads to the Tahoe v. Wagoneer. The Grand Wagoneer having McIntosh is over the top--I always dreamed of that too since being a kid, and that will never happen....

p.s. is the 5.3 a better choice over the 6.2, generally speaking (not to set off any debate, but to a lay person who does not know)
Rear suspension looks like that bcs. on Tahoe it is independent one. Reason for that is that it makes third row much more comfortable and knees are not hitting your chin. That was biggest complaint by users who used it for family hauling. Blame people who don’t want to be seen in a minivan, which is much better family hauler than any Tahoe or similar vehicle.

My wife, for example loves the V8 F150 and won't even drive the 2 V6 Ecoboost versions I have 2.7 and 3.5. She is utterly unaware of the reasons why.

My wife who normally doesn't mention these things has commented to me many times that she enjoys driving my Ram 1500 classic hemi V8. She is not a spirited driver by any means and wouldn't know a V8 from a lawn mower. She says it's very easy and nice to drive and it truly is. She never mentioned this with my V6 powered 2017 Ram 1500.

I miss the real v8's that made a lazy 400+ HP and 500 Ft lb off idle.

Only electric pull like old school big blocks.

The watered down stuff we get today isnt very exciting.
I had a 66 GTO, 4 Corvettes including an LS6, a 73 FireChicken with a 69 400/400 drivetrain, our 4-4-2 and a V8 Gremlin among others. Our Model 3 makes them feel slow.

I had a 66 GTO, 4 Corvettes including an LS6, a 73 FireChicken with a 69 400/400 drivetrain, our 4-4-2 and a V8 Gremlin among others. Our Model 3 makes them feel slow.

I love electrics and for sedans and cars the electrics are great, but they haven't replaced tow rigs and wont for a while.

A 500/ 500 SBC is cheap and livens up anything you put it in, the turbo small blocks make 1500.

The crate BBC's make 7to 1K NA, and turbo big block get stupid.

I love electrics and for sedans and cars the electrics are great, but they haven't replaced tow rigs and wont for a while.

A 500/ 500 SBC is cheap and livens up anything you put it in, the turbo small blocks make 1500.

The crate BBC's make 7to 1K NA, and turbo big block get stupid.
Who's gonna feed it?

Yes, they have been around since 1998. So exactly how much time do we need to figure out?
Any new technology has infant problems. Those were apparent in early 2000’s in VW engines that had excessive fuel dilution or CBU. Some still have that, like Subaru and Honda, but that is not bcs. technology is not mature.
The 3.0L I-6 twin turbo DI Hurricane with Plasma transfer-wire arc coatings has been around since 1998? That is the engine we're talking about. The 2.0L DI I-4 Turbo hasn't been out that long either. I'd rather not be a beta tester, but like the idea of an I-6 Turbo engine. I can wait until it gets a few years under its belt.

But straight sixes have always been great engines. From Packard in the 1920s, through truck engines in the 40s, to Mercedes and BMW for past several decades, a straight six is smooth and powerful.
I never understood the appeal of an inline 6. I just thought it was an inline 4 with a couple of added cylinders.
Then I acquired my first e30 with it's 2.7 inline 6.
So powerful, oodles of torque and fuel efficiency of a 4 cyl engine.

The 3.0L I-6 twin turbo DI Hurricane with Plasma transfer-wire arc coatings has been around since 1998? That is the engine we're talking about. The 2.0L DI I-4 Turbo hasn't been out that long either. I'd rather not be a beta tester, but like the idea of an I-6 Turbo engine. I can wait until it gets a few years under its belt.
2.0 DI turbo engines saw day of light first time in VW in 2003. World doesn’t revolve around US.
Small turbo engines are present in Europe since beginning of 80’s, and that is just gasoline. Diesel turbo engines were staple of the market between 1991 and 2016.
Engines constantly evolve. Metalurgy evolves without you ever paying attention unless it is marketing pitch, that might be totally irrelevant or might be huge improvement.
The reason why this topic pops out every month here is that many members still don’t know that Bill Clinton won 1992 elections and United 232 is still fresh news.
Change is the only thing that is constant.

Who's gonna feed it?
Speed and power costs money.

If you want to push something heavy like a boat a long distance you need big mills and big fuel.
My 700HP 28Ft boat has a 100 gallon tank.
That can take me from Marina Del Rey to San Diego, last a 3 day weekend at the lake, or last 2 and half hours depending on how I drive it.

For towing its all expensive - sustained 200HP of output for a 6 hour tow cost x amount of fuel regardless of configuration.
Then when towing you want massive overhead for passing and hills, and the more the better and you just cant buy stuff like what we used to be able to build, install and had.

Last edited:
Back