Does anyone Decarb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do a yearly decard on my engine and then change the spark plugs. I have always used the OMC Decarb spray, but was thinking about trying the Seafoam method. What do you guys do? -Joe

I also use a carbon remover on my two-stroke boat engines (25hp Merc and a 200hp Evinrude V6). To date, I have only used the OMC and Quicksilver products. I believe they are effective as I can see the nice clean piston tops when I'm done. I also think they are pretty safe as they seem to contain some lubricant.

The idea of using a strong solvent to dislodge carbon scares me. Its seems to me that there could be issues with cylinder scoring.That being said I know many people that have done it with no apparent side effects.
FWIW I doubt seefoam works worth a crap. The msds list its main ingrediants a pale oil, and kersosene I believe. The have heard that the omc and quicksilver carbon removers works quite well.

quote:

Originally posted by blano:
The idea of using a strong solvent to dislodge carbon scares me. Its seems to me that there could be issues with cylinder scoring.That being said I know many people that have done it with no apparent side effects.
FWIW I doubt seefoam works worth a crap. The msds list its main ingrediants a pale oil, and kersosene I believe. The have heard that the omc and quicksilver carbon removers works quite well.

Ben/Blano, I think that I am going to stick with the OMC Engine Tuner. The Seafoam method is very popular on floridasportsman.com and thehulltruth.com, but I talked to a guy tonight at dinner that said the Seafoam method is a pain in the butt and does not clean as well as the OEM cleaners. He owns a marina. -Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back