Does a FULL SAPS oil create more soot in EGR and intake manifold?

I read a story recently that because someone did exactly as you suggested their check engine light stayed illuminated & ended up costing them an engine because the light didn't come on for the real problems. The light was always on & didn't alert them of a serious mechanical issue of some sort. I don't remember the whole story but it's enough for me to always keep the check engine lights off & get things repaired soon when it does pop on.
Not sure if it's the same for the 2007, but for the 2005, if you unplug the EGR position sensor, it doesn't even set a code, it just disables the EGR.

Not sure if it's the same for the 2007, but for the 2005, if you unplug the EGR position sensor, it doesn't even set a code, it just disables the EGR.
do they even have a EGR position sensor on the Navistar engine called the Powerstoke..
figure they just measure EGR flow thru a differential pressure sensor.
Cummins uses a position sensor, but they use an electric EGR valve of a different style.
thinking out loud.

do they even have a EGR position sensor on the Navistar engine called the Powerstoke..
figure they just measure EGR flow thru a differential pressure sensor.
Cummins uses a position sensor, but they use an electric EGR valve of a different style.
thinking out loud.
Well, it was either the EGR valve itself or the EGR position sensor (I thought it was the latter) that if you unplug it soft-deletes the EGR on the 6.0L PSD, at least with a 2005, not sure if Ford "fixed" that in the programming for later years.

1696511972550.jpg

Think it's #6 on the above diagram?

Well, it was either the EGR valve itself or the EGR position sensor (I thought it was the latter) that if you unplug it soft-deletes the EGR on the 6.0L PSD, at least with a 2005, not sure if Ford "fixed" that in the programming for later years.

View attachment 181864

Think it's #6 on the above diagram?

on any of those older engines, they just didn't have the anti tampering rules from the EPA. I'm not familiar enough with a six oh to say if unplugging the EGR would or would not set a code ( probably not if it is blocked off but maybe if it is unplugged) . ON older diesel engines with EGR you usually found they only flowed EGR at higher work loads and not at idle.. emissions weren't so stringent but I suspect they measured flow with some type of gas differential sensor and maybe a temp sensor in the exhaust.. more modern stuff they use multiple sensors, even trying to determine data update rates if somebody blocked the device off.. but anyway EGr not functioning sure wont hurt an engine, what Fantastic was eluding to.

on any of those older engines, they just didn't have the anti tampering rules from the EPA. I'm not familiar enough with a six oh to say if unplugging the EGR would or would not set a code ( probably not if it is blocked off but maybe if it is unplugged) . ON older diesel engines with EGR you usually found they only flowed EGR at higher work loads and not at idle.. emissions weren't so stringent but I suspect they measured flow with some type of gas differential sensor and maybe a temp sensor in the exhaust.. more modern stuff they use multiple sensors, even trying to determine data update rates if somebody blocked the device off.. but anyway EGr not functioning sure wont hurt an engine, what Fantastic was eluding to.
A buddy of mine, and heavy diesel mechanic (now the foreman for a bus line), owned a 2005, and, after multiple EGR cooler failures, he welded up a "special" EGR cooler (with block-offs in the ends) and then discovered, in the process, that if you unplugged the EGR position sensor (pretty sure that's #6 in that diagram) it disabled the EGR and didn't trigger a CEL or set a code. He also picked up ~2mpg with the EGR deleted.

Not sure if this was an artifact of International's programming on the VT365 or if this was Ford's doing, nor whether they "fixed" this loophole in later years (hence my caveat) but it seems pretty simple to test, and doesn't risk any damage.

A buddy of mine, and heavy diesel mechanic (now the foreman for a bus line), owned a 2005, and, after multiple EGR cooler failures, he welded up a "special" EGR cooler (with block-offs in the ends) and then discovered, in the process, that if you unplugged the EGR position sensor (pretty sure that's #6 in that diagram) it disabled the EGR and didn't trigger a CEL or set a code. He also picked up ~2mpg with the EGR deleted.

Not sure if this was an artifact of International's programming on the VT365 or if this was Ford's doing, nor whether they "fixed" this loophole in later years (hence my caveat) but it seems pretty simple to test, and doesn't risk any damage.
yeah, I'm looking at the parts pic right now.. it lists an EGR throttle, and a EGR position sensor, so it might possibly have a EGR valve that is a butterfly, or electrically operated variable position EGR valve. My answer is I dont know. Right.?

.. only thing I do say that normally applies to any of this stuff is if the ECM is connected electrically to a device, if it is disconnected the ECM usually sets a code, as it is an open circuit when disconnected. :)

Yes, I'm not sure if 03-05 but I think your right. I do know 06-07 has it to were if you unplug the egr valve it will set different codes. One being "EGR Low Flow" etc. I don't want to look at a check engine light so it will stay hooked up. I don't really mind the system & there were minor OEM updates on the oil cooler & egr cooler that increased it's capacity. My theory on these Internationals where that the Ford coolant was not up to handling hot exhaust temps. I started looking into coolant technology & came to the conclusion that I fault Nitrites along with EGR Cooler HOT temps that caused it to gell up clogging the coolant ports starving the egr cooler of coolant then blowing it out. I knew everything I was getting into before I purchased this truck & it's one of the best purchases I've made to date.

yeah, I'm looking at the parts pic right now.. it lists an EGR throttle, and a EGR position sensor, so it might possibly have a EGR valve that is a butterfly, or electrically operated variable position EGR valve. My answer is I dont know. Right.?

.. only thing I do say that normally applies to any of this stuff is if the ECM is connected electrically to a device, if it is disconnected the ECM usually sets a code, as it is an open circuit when disconnected. :)
The EGR valve & EGR sensor is all one unit I pictured before that I had to clean.

Before ULSD, EGR soot was a huge problem on VW TDI (pre Common Rail). So an easy solution was to dial back on the EGR duty cycle to the limit of triggering a CEL

Since ULSD, excessive soot hasn’t been an issue

any of you guys in the know realize that once the engine manufacturers started using an SCR system also know EGR flow was reduced..
the bigger problems occur on vehicles with EGR only for Nox emission control
If only you knew just how true this was.

I happen to know that one major diesel manufacturer that was planning to go into 2010 with an EGR-only solution for emissions, but abruptly shifted course and announced they were joining everyone else in going to SCR. It made headlines at the time because they were a key player.

At the time, the publicly announced reason for the shift was that improved SCR efficiency from a novel catalyst they had developed using copper zeolite instead of iron zeolite. The former could achieve conversion efficiencies of 98% under some conditions vs 90% for the iron-based catalyst. It was a game changer and all the publicly shared info was true and justified the change in architecture.

But behind the scenes, the other half of the story unfolded. The EGR-only engines were eating themselves alive. So much EGR was having to flow (both direct and cooled EGR) that condensation in the intake manifolds was occurring. And, since EGR had combustion byproducts, it was *acidic* condensation. It would eat through the aluminum intake manifold faster than the ferrous alloys, but the liner pitting and piston corrosion was a serious problem that convinced many that the engine would be a warranty nightmare.

You can imagine what the pistons/liners/valves looks like on an engine that is ingesting a steady diet of acid rain.

So it was a bit of a chicken/egg scenario. The novel catalyst allowed a conveniently marketable reason to ditch the EGR approach that was likely to drive them to SCR anyway.

High EGR flows are bad for reliability and durability. Full stop.

at this stage of the emissions game some of the euro engines have gotten away from EGR completely as well as the VGT, and just use SCR for NOx control.. I think the American stuff is trending away fro use , while still having an EGR system while mostly using SCR to control emssions... You''ll find people with the newest trucks saying their engine uses far more DEF than their previous truck..

worth saying an older diesel with EGR most likely had an older type of fuel injection, whereas I can't think of anything I have seen 07 and newer that doesn't have some type of HPCR injection system.. this is a combination of methods to achieve clean exhaust.

pretty sure the 07 Powerestroke in question had HEUI injection, which would have been on its last legs as far as fuel injection is concerned.

I own a 2006 BMW M47 (diesel 2.000 cc 164 HP)

I've always used Castrol Edge 5w30 M on it, which is a MID-SAPS type of oil; but I'm planning on going for a FULL-SAPS in order to protect the engine, since the car has racked more than 200.000 kilometers and I want to extreme precautions relating to engine wear.

Important thing: the car doesnt have DPF

BUT I'm kinda worried about the EGR and the intake manifold accumulating more soot with this oil change. Am I correct with my worries?

I just wanna know ur opinion about it, since I know nothing about how diesel engines work

Here a pic of my whip

Whats-App-Image-2022-07-06-at-2-13-42-PM.jpg
All diesels have soot built up in the intake because of EGR. You have other issues to worry about like swirl flaps which get beat up from the heat/soot allowed into the intake via EGR.

All diesels have soot built up in the intake because of EGR. You have other issues to worry about like swirl flaps which get beat up from the heat/soot allowed into the intake via EGR.
was this still a problem in early e90's? Mine is a 2006... and I'm used to hear that swirl flap issues are related to e46's almost exclusively

at this stage of the emissions game some of the euro engines have gotten away from EGR completely as well as the VGT, and just use SCR for NOx control.. I think the American stuff is trending away fro use , while still having an EGR system while mostly using SCR to control emssions... You''ll find people with the newest trucks saying their engine uses far more DEF than their previous truck..

worth saying an older diesel with EGR most likely had an older type of fuel injection, whereas I can't think of anything I have seen 07 and newer that doesn't have some type of HPCR injection system.. this is a combination of methods to achieve clean exhaust.

pretty sure the 07 Powerestroke in question had HEUI injection, which would have been on its last legs as far as fuel injection is concerned.

The large industrial diesels I work with can all meet Tier 4 final with no EGR. These engines are expected to burn a million gallons of fuel before overhaul, often 20,000 hours or more. You just can't get that with EGR.

I own a 2006 BMW M47 (diesel 2.000 cc 164 HP)

I've always used Castrol Edge 5w30 M on it, which is a MID-SAPS type of oil; but I'm planning on going for a FULL-SAPS in order to protect the engine, since the car has racked more than 200.000 kilometers and I want to extreme precautions relating to engine wear.

Important thing: the car doesnt have DPF

BUT I'm kinda worried about the EGR and the intake manifold accumulating more soot with this oil change. Am I correct with my worries?

I just wanna know ur opinion about it, since I know nothing about how diesel engines work

Here a pic of my whip

Whats-App-Image-2022-07-06-at-2-13-42-PM.jpg
What ACEA C oil does the engine require and that’s your answer.

Back