Does a 4x4 sport truck exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They aren't that common because the formula of a lot of power (torque) and manual transmission plus a truck grade 4x4 drivetrain and undercarriage is expensive to make and expensive to maintain. Basically although it's not true to say they are incompatible, it is true to say that you are asking for premium components all around, and they STILL will need a lot of maintenance.

OEMs are wary because they have to warranty that combo, and they have the data that says it's a difficult configuration to keep running and to keep costs reasonable.

They might introduce a flagship model to gain publicity and sales for the more mundane versions that people actually buy, but they are not going to compete with other OEMs because if it comes to that, it's just a money sink and reputation risk (if things break, and they will).

An automatic transmission and RWD is much cheaper and less maintenance while still being able to handle big power.

As long as you understand that, best of luck in your quest.

Last edited:
I'm not a truck guy but, I like'em OK. And I didn't read every reply however, if an actual brand new "4X4 SPORT TRUCK" doesn't exist, can we build our own at the dealer. I mean, considering the way trucks can be configured(if you ordered off of the build sheet with a sales rep), you can:

*Pick your engine
*Pick your body type(Std cab, ext cab, 4 dr, short box, long box etc)
*Pick your gear ratios & 4X4 setup
*And maybe even the tranny??? manual or auto
*Along with the suspension upgrades including shocks
*And Wheels & Tires

With the exception of graphics that lets everyone know that it's a Thee "SPORT TRUCK", you/we could probably build our own just the way you want it...Just saying!

What say you?

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Just buy the truck you want and have a supercharger put on it.

Beat me to it; that was going to be my suggestion.

Chevy Silverado SS, no stick though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Silverado#Chevrolet_Silverado_SS

I was in the same boat for awhile. I even test drove a manual SRT-10. Really cool truck, but no 4x4 meant it was a no go for me. A friend of mine had an SRT Jeep and it was a beast with the 6.1 and a couple mods. Again, not a stick though.

As a couple others have mentioned I've seen some people get 2 door F150s with the 5.0 and supercharge it. There is one guy I've seen videos of running his 4x4 short cab supercharged 5.0 into the 10s. How long his 4x4 will hold up doing that I don't know.

Silverado with the 6.2L - lower it, add 22's and a supercharger, and you are set!!!

I have the 6.2L with long tubes, full dual exhaust, intake and a tune...it might not look "sport" but it hauls a55!!!!

2018's sport truck is the 5.0 F150 regular cab 4x4 with added supercharger. Its cheap, stupid fast, no manual but forget that with that kind of power. GM 6.2 trucks also qualify but you have to pay up for top trims and deal with virtually no trucks actually having the 6.2 engine.

New, there's not many options for a true factory Sport truck. As already stated, a RCSB F-150 with 5.0 is very fast (there are rwds doing mid-13s stock). You may be able to find a left-over 2018 RAM RCSB, or an R/T if really lucky. The Raptor Supercab is quite quick, but I wouldn't really consider it a "sport" truck. The current 8 & 10 speeds are quicker than anyone can shift a manual (any day).

Last edited:
True off roading, no-roading, is too hard on the cosmetic stuff to really happen in a new ute. Mall crawlers 99% of them
grin2.gif

Ram makes a lot of sport versions of their trucks and offer a lot of loud and unique colors as well. The Hemi is powerful and sounds good and with a few mods you can make it a nice fun drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back