Dodged a bullet - or did he?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a really good semi-shock this week. I decided to check the trans level in my 02 Jeep TJ. It was a little over full and had bubbles in it. Nothing too upsetting ..but I decided to dig deeper since I had added to the coolant overflow tank recently. Now I normally would fret the addition of coolant, but I've got a few fittings and whatnot that probably need tightening after a while ..etc..etc.

So I check the coolant and see redish tint coolant. The funny thing is, I was sure that I had changed it for LOWTOX in late March (or around there). Now this gets me a little freaked. Not a hint of green in there (from Airplane "That's funny, LOWTOX never turned red before
confused.gif
)

Now there was no emulsification in either the trans or the rad ..but I couldn't help but fear that the in-rad cooler had leaked. It didn't reason beyond the level changes in both.

So, I drain the trans pan (plug) and refill to the proper level. The next day I run out and grab two gallons of LOWTOX (I wasn't going to order and wait for Amsoil = nor would I use it anyway if something was wrong). I go to drain the rad and mostly clear water comes out.
confused.gif
It got a redish tint after a bit. Not rusty as one would expect (if any of you have actually seen a rusty water filled cooling system).

Anyway ..I must have flushed the system about 5 months ago and put in a cleaning agent ..had some compelling reason to button it up and drive it with the solution in there ...and then never got back to it.
pat2.gif

The single core POS OEM rad looked very clean.

No ..do not attempt this at home ...err..and have your meds checked if stuff like this starts happening to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back