Dodge Ram V-10/Coolant Problems/Second Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
8.0l,488 cid V-10, 77k miles
Exxon Superflo 10w-40 SL
Auto-Rx in oil,Fuel Power used in every gallon of gas burned.
Previous oil:pennzoil 5w-30 Syn-blend w/ LC+#132 brew
code:

OCI 1500 1250

oil Mobil 1 Exxon Superflo 10w-40

2/03 5/04

ALUMINUM 3 2

CHROMIUM 1 0

IRON 25 6

COPPER 7 3

LEAD 13 11

TIN 2 2

MOLYBDENUM 3 8

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 27 3

BORON 39 14

SILICON 7 3

SODIUM 54 9

CALCIUM 791 1592

MAGNESIUM 1319 36

PHOSPHORUS 649 750

ZINC 761 873

BARIUM 0 0

SUS Vis @ 210*F 58.4 64.3

Flashpoint 385 390

Fuel 0.5%
ANTIFREEZE 0.11% 0.0

Water 0.0 0.0

Insoluables 0.5% 0.3

TBN N/A 5.2

Changed oil in March.3 weeks later added a Frantz bypass filter .Ran truck to Florida,loaded down and pulling a trailer.Changed oil in Florida.Changed bypass TP element,didn't touch the useless full flow filter.Added another bottle of Rx.About 15% of old oil left in the engine when the oil was changed in Florida.
Total weight of truck+trailer was probably 10K to 12K pounds.Not too heavy,not light either.Ran the bugger as hard as any sane man would.

Previous Analysis
Exxon Superflo Data Sheet

Mark

[ May 24, 2004, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

Looks like the coolant leak is a thing of the past!
cheers.gif

It does look better,but it's not perfect either.I've been running LC in each oil change since the first analysis.Doing very short oil drain intervals.The Frantz bypass filter can hold about 4oz or so of water.Some of the wear might be from the plain-jane Exxon 10w-40.
dunno.gif
Some might be from flogging the vehicle at better than average(for me) speeds pulling a trailer.
rolleyes.gif

Terry has been AWESOME in helping me determine a good solution to the problem!Although he does say,"Why don't you just fix the darn thing!"
tongue.gif
I can give at least 1000 reasons,and they all have a dead president on them.
mad.gif

Next plan:Run some GOOD oil for a change.I'm gonna' run Pennzoil 15w-40 Long Life next w/10% LC.
I'm also going to put a "block-off" plate in place of the useless spin-on filter.A Fumoto valve is also in the equation.
If it wern't for BITOG,this engine would probably be toast by now.Thanks Guys!

Mark

Aside from the numbers, for a second, have you had other diagnostics performed for a gasket leak? (cooling system sniffing and pressure test, leakdown test, etc?)

I don't consider a full flow filter 100% useless...at least it holds some volume of oil....which is always a good thing in my book.

Pb seems really high for such a short OCI - but the only reason I write this is because someone said us Amsoil guys aren't picky enough about metals in UOA's (I say BS to this). I'm sure cleanup continues....Pb may be lower next go around.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Aside from the numbers, for a second, have you had other diagnostics performed for a gasket leak? (cooling system sniffing and pressure test, leakdown test, etc?)
Yep,had a wrench look at the truck after the first analysis.He couldn't find any obvious answers without a tear-down.
I don't consider a full flow filter 100% useless...at least it holds some volume of oil....which is always a good thing in my book.
It does if you think of the fact that there is another quart of oil to dilute the glycol.That alone,along with another consultation with Terry,makes me think of keeping it in there.Terry's gonna' have to start charging me DOUBLE for the amount of time he wastes answering my questions!
shocked.gif

Pb seems really high for such a short OCI - but the only reason I write this is because someone said us Amsoil guys aren't picky enough about metals in UOA's (I say BS to this). I'm sure cleanup continues....Pb may be lower next go around.
Terry is VERY concerned with the bearing wear.This is what the future focus will be in my analysis readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back