2001 JEEP 242-6 M1 0W-40 second analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around town mileage is currently 18-19 mpg, mixed freeway and major side streets, constant MAX air-conditioning use (was 108F yesterday). And, most trips are 15+ miles.

When new (to 20K), fuel mileage was 15.75 to 17.00.

I get around 19 on the freeway and 12 around town. My milage really took a nose dive when I put larger tires on the rig. My ZJ came factory equipted with 225 75 15. I'm currently running 30 X 9.5. Once they wear out, I'll return to factory size. The larger size has also killed my power.

I finally got rid of the oem GOODYEAR Wrangler 225/75-16s, replacing them with the slightly taller (and significantly wider cross-section and tread width) KUMHO Ecsta STZ in 255/65-16. I expect mileage to change (and will calculate distances and corrected speeds with GPS), but the difference in handling is beyond outstanding. Haven't even gotten them wet, either.

Found it well worth while to have them balanced by a knowledgable tech on a HUNTER GSP 9700. Three of the four were remounted so that the heavy points on the tire and wheel were exactly oppsite each other (About 7# of road force all around for those familiar). Quiet, stable, and a tiny bit rougher in ride (at 34 vs 32 psi), but will be pulling a trailer to Chicago this time (one-way), so this -- plus a number of other services -- ought to give the 0W-40 prepped with LC a bit more of a workout (unless I decide to change brands at the last minute seeing as how the earlier combo can no longer be "exactly" duplicated).

Well, it's gonna be REDLINE 10W-30 this time, no LC (just FP) and the same BALDWIN B2-HPG.

Have a lot of service to perform on the vehicle, and figured, "Aw, what the heck", time to give the big dog a run to see how it does as RL is going into the power steering and differential; and Schaeffers 204s into the tranny (plus a dose of #258 into the coolant). Have to install coolers/auxiliary filters as well.

Will be a 7-7500 mile sample.

Finally ending 7500-mile run of REDLINE 10W-30 this weekend.

Sample will be taken, but unlikely to be analyzed as mucho minor work has/will be done: PCV system and breather re-seal, new sparkplugs, FI and air intake cleaning/sealing, etc.

As it has now been 20k since last done, may run another ARX treat thru as previous one was not as long -- as thorough -- as present guidelines recommend.

And, as warranty is soon to be up, will be consulting Terry Dyson to figure on best set-up for that.

Several factors to consider.

(Jeepers, came across a limited offer of X-thousand bhat price reduction in Thailand on XJ's, comes with free 20W-50 oil changes!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back