Dodge leaving Nascar at end of season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: VNTS

I didnt know Camrys are rear wheel drive with a V8
wink.gif

This is exactly why I dont care to watch nascar.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
ANd FORDS ARE rear wheel drive with a V8? I thought they stopped making those. Maybe they should only let BAILED OUT car companies race in NASCAR.

Mustang still is
wink.gif
(and yes, I'm aware that the Mustang isn't used in Nascar, but then really, no "car" is)

Yeah, but the LS400 is rear wheel drive with a V8, still a Toyota. As is, the SC. I'm also aware that they aren't racing these in Nascar.

If only they'd put a V8 in the FR-S.
grin.gif

Last edited:
I stopped watching NASCAR in the 90s. I haven't regretted it after I read that Toyota built an entirely new engine just for NASCAR and nothing else. On rare occasion, I'll view the highlights on ESPN.
My brother, a late bloomer fan of NASCAR, stopped watching it last year after the entirely way-too-long season basically ended up in a tie.
Seriously, if you don't drive a Chevy-branded car in NASCAR, you don't have a chance of winning the point chase at the end of the season.

I quit watching after the change to the chase format. It cheapened the long season. Should just cut the racing schedule into a 16-20 race season IMO.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I stopped watching NASCAR in the 90s. I haven't regretted it after I read that Toyota built an entirely new engine just for NASCAR and nothing else.

So what? They didn't have an eligible engine. What did you expect them to do? It had to follow the same rules as the other three brands. If it ended up being better in some ways than their competitors, that wasn't their problem.

I never could understand the restrictions of NASCAR. With all these restrictions in place, you are testing the driver, and not the car.

Mustang still is
wink.gif
(and yes, I'm aware that the Mustang isn't used in Nascar, but then really, no "car" is)

Mustang is used as Ford's car in Nationwide, Dodge uses teh Challenger body in Nationwide. Toyota uses the Camry still and Chevy is switching to the Camaro next season.

I truly wish they would change the rules to most closely resemble Aussie V8 Supercars. Even those are not stock cars anymore, although they use stock body components according to Nissan's new entry. When you think about it, with the speeds they are going around these ovals, it probably isn't safe or cost effective to use a "stock body" Fusion or Camry. Just think what would happen if a stock body Fusion slammed the wall at 200+mph.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
makes sense that the company that makes the most popular sedan (camry) should be in car racing.

Since it seems that 95% of Americans ONLY consider buying the Nippon Giant's sales leader, then why does Toyota feel compelled to advertise (have entries in this race series, since this is all most seem to think it is) like this??
21.gif

Do they enjoy wasting their trillion$ in profits, or is it some sort of Shinto pride/vengence thing?

Is it to try and sway the other 5% (like me) who will NEVER, EVER purchase one of their products, maybe???

NASCAR died the day Dale Earnhardt did. There's no way in heck he would have let the sport degenerate into the cluster [censored] it is today.

Yes, he would. Not like he could have stopped it...or done anything beyond complain or retire. The downward spiral started when the bandsaw-like whining from the other teams (there was no competition!) got the 426 Hemi banned, the aero cars first castrated and then banned, and continued to this point, where NASCAR is essentially a caricature of itself, a spec-racing series with a bunch of clone cars.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Yes, he would. Not like he could have stopped it...or done anything beyond complain or retire. The downward spiral started when the bandsaw-like whining from the other teams (there was no competition!) got the 426 Hemi banned, the aero cars first castrated and then banned, and continued to this point, where NASCAR is essentially a caricature of itself, a spec-racing series with a bunch of clone cars.

I would argue that it started even before that, with the banning of the 427 SOHC. That seemed to start the whole slide, with the subsequent banning of the 426 HEMI, BOSS 429...etc.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
NASCAR died the day Dale Earnhardt did. There's no way in heck he would have let the sport degenerate into the cluster [censored] it is today.

+1

Greggy's right on here. I could care less about the horse and pony show they call it now, but they don't really even race much anymore. What ever happened to "rubbing is racing"? Not every race is going to be clean and pretty. I miss that. If Dale had to shake ya up" to win, he'd do it.

Now it's just a bunch of pretty boys who are afraid to offend or [censored] people off....sad.

Some of the best racers [censored] people off...including Richard Petty...

I would argue that it started even before that, with the banning of the 427 SOHC. That seemed to start the whole slide, with the subsequent banning of the 426 HEMI, BOSS 429...etc.

Absolutely agreed. Racing drives technological advancements, can't do that if you get banned.

Homogenizing the races has ruined it for me. I just hate the exact same cars with fake bodies.

Nascar is like "professional" wrestling!

Nascar, as we know it now, is nothing more than a re-packaged form of the old IROC series. There's the biggest reason for Nascar's decline, in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Greggy_D

+1

Greggy's right on here. I could care less about the horse and pony show they call it now, but they don't really even race much anymore. What ever happened to "rubbing is racing"? Not every race is going to be clean and pretty. I miss that. If Dale had to shake ya up" to win, he'd do it.

Now it's just a bunch of pretty boys who are afraid to offend or [censored] people off....sad.

Some of the best racers [censored] people off...including Richard Petty...

Personally, I thought NASCAR was at it's best in the late 80s and early 90s. Just to think of it, isn't it amazing that it's now been 20 years since Richard Petty retired in 1992? That was probably one of the best seasons EVER! I'm with you about most of the drivers today being a bunch of brats versus back then... when the majority of drivers were class acts. Also liked the cars better back then as they sounded like real racing V8s (turning only about 8500 RPM, instead of the ridiculous 10000 rpm now) and looked closer to stock (although not like the 1960s racers). Give me the Luminas, Grand Prixs, Cutlasses and T-Birds!

Originally Posted By: Rand
stopped making those. Maybe they should only let BAILED OUT car companies race in NASCAR.

not sure I understand that comment as ford wasnt bailed out?

Should be obvious, let only Generous Motors and FIAT race. How soon before the National Association of Stock Car Wrestlers supplies a spec engine to go with the spec cars?

Lotta fans disguised as seats at some of those races. The last real racing was the old no limit, run what ya brung Can Am.

They used to say "the only substitute for cubic inches is CUBIC MONEY." Now you need BOTH.

ANd FORDS ARE rear wheel drive with a V8? I thought they stopped making those. Maybe they should only let BAILED OUT car companies race in NASCAR.

Mustang still is
wink.gif

Regardless, one of the bailed out companies is the one pulling out, so I'm not sure what your point is? That GM should have its own bailed-out racing league?

Perhaps another league for Ford and Toyota, then, though I suppose LEXIS could be allowed -- they MAKE some RWD sedans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back