Dodge Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40 that I bought in the Autozone sale. I am running it in my Hemi truck...good or bad idea? Truck is used to tow 4-5000 pounds. So far i have noticed no difference in "seat of the pants" feel when running 5w30.

Whatever the owner's manual says about oil and towing, I guess.
Thicker oil isn't necessarily better because it reduces flow to the bearings--all other things being equal.

Whatever the internal clearances and oil pumping capacity the engineers designed into the engine determines your oil weight and type for different truck usage and temperatures. An old rule of thumb that a lot of people consider is about 10 PSI oil pressure per 1000 RPM when at full temperature. But I wouldn't use an oil that the owner's manual doesn't recommend.

That is a much thicker oil then I believe they're calling for now, unless the HEMI trucks are different from the chrysler 300 and dodge charger

I think you're fine.

The higher viscosity may reduce mileage a bit but that will be hard to tell when towing. I imagine you're going to keep this oil in the engine thru the summer? That too will not be an issue as temps heat up.

Just like anything else, check the oil regularly and change it on schedule and you'll be ok. Valv. PB is a good HDEO, like most on the market.

Originally Posted By: oliver88
I had some Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40 that I bought in the Autozone sale. I am running it in my Hemi truck...good or bad idea? Truck is used to tow 4-5000 pounds. So far i have noticed no difference in "seat of the pants" feel when running 5w30.

What year is the truck? If it is an 06 or newer 1/2 ton( non Mega Cab )you have MDS and you should swap out to 5W-20 ASAP before you cause damage to your internal MDS components. MDS HEMI's require a 5W-20 for proper operation. Has to do with oil pressure and special lifters that collapse when MDS activates.

If it is an 05 or earlier 1/2 ton, a Mega Cab, or a Heavy Duty model, you do not have MDS so there is no concern there. However, 5W-30 or 5W-20 was called for depending on your model year. The HEMI was not designed to run on such a thick oil. Thickest factory approved oil was 10W-30( 03-04 ).

I personally would not run an oil thicker than 10W-30 in a non MDS engine. In an MDS engine I would run 0W-20 or 5W-20 ONLY!

Originally Posted By: adibigs
If the Hemi has multi displacement- it may not function work properly

According to the now closed Dodge dealer up here, anything besides Mobil1 5W20 will cause the MDS to fail.

Originally Posted By: roushstage2

According to the now closed Dodge dealer up here, anything besides Mobil1 5W20 will cause the MDS to fail.

Good thing they closed because they are idiots. "Mobil" 5W-20 is not required. 5W-20 is required.

Originally Posted By: oliver88

Personally I think you're wasting fuel with a 40 weight in an engine that elsewhere specs a 5w20 or 5w30, but as others have said the only real risk would be if it has the MDS system. The 6.1L Hemi in the SRT-8 vehicles is factory filled with M1 0w40, so the basic engine architecture and oiling system is fine with a 40-weight. But the SRTs do NOT have MDS, either.

15w40 is too thick for the Hemi. Stick to the 5w20. It may be in your best interest since Dodge my just be a memory in another 10 years...
28.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Good thing they closed because they are idiots. "Mobil" 5W-20 is not required. 5W-20 is required.

Oh yeah, I'm aware, lol. My friend called me when his dad and him were there and I told them to call [censored] on that. My friend has the same year truck (maybe a year newer, can't remember), same engine, and runs the same oil his father did and has had no issues.

They replaced some things and filled it with Mobil stating it would be good to go and blah blah blah....
The truck is starting to have the same issues again.

5w-30 for 130,000 miles on my 03 with a LONGGGGGG list of mods. Towing, tx heat, stupidity and just plain ole abuse. Never an issue.

I tend to follow the guys that deisgned it over my own thinking that im smarter then them. (long term reliability thinking here)

remeber chryslers finacial and engineering departments are seperate
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Oh yeah, I'm aware, lol. My friend called me when his dad and him were there and I told them to call [censored] on that. My friend has the same year truck (maybe a year newer, can't remember), same engine, and runs the same oil his father did and has had no issues.

They replaced some things and filled it with Mobil stating it would be good to go and blah blah blah....
The truck is starting to have the same issues again.

What issues? MDS related?

Supposedly. They replaced (I think, going from memory right now) the MDS module, took off the heads and ended up replacing a single rod from one of the heads? Yeah, I don't know either, lol.

The truck did and is starting to make a lot of noise (sort of like a banging/knocking?) when it is started up cold and generally goes away when the engine warms up. I don't know Dodge engines very well (Ford for me), but I am almost positive the oil has nothing to do with this.

^ the lifters are what are MDS specific. a rod?!? push rod perhaps but only one and why?

mds= 5w-20 end of story

Originally Posted By: txtruck
^ the lifters are what are MDS specific. a rod?!? push rod perhaps but only one and why?

mds= 5w-20 end of story

Agreed. Push rods are not MDS specific/related. Push rod and valve replacement are two things done as a rule, "IF" you can get a dealer to do anything other than say it is normal, for the infamous HEMI tick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back