Dodge challengers breaking timing chains

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen some 09 and 10 dodge challenger 5.7 hemis breaking there timing chains on some other forums. Anyone have that happen with there hemi on here? Seems like it is only affecting mds engines such as the auto trans challengers. The 6 speeds are non mds.

Must be Chinese chains.Old Pontiacs used to go thru chains,its one of those things you dont hear much of anymore.

I'm pretty sure they use timing belts rather than chains. But no, I have not heard of this.

I don't understand how the chains can break, unless they're just horribly engineered. I know they do stretch a bit over time...

Chain. Probably a "Hy-Vo" Chain, not a Roller Chain, but not sure. Don't know what the new name for Hy-Vo chain is, but it is the one that looks like this vvvvvvvvvvvvv, but the Roller Chain like like this oooooooooooooo, like a bicycle chain. I think they may not call Hy-Vo chain "Silent" endless chain.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Must be Chinese chains.

Defects in chain manufacturing certainly aren't limited to China. A few years ago, a German bicycle chain manufacturer had a bunch of roller chains breaking at the side plates. I think it was due to improper heat treating of the plates.

I'm not sure what's up w/the Challenger chains, but this sorta thing can certainly happen. The good news is that you're less likely to need dental work when your car's timing chain bites it!

Some of the Daimler Benz leftover.

"Nein, Ve don't need ze double row chain on ze 380s. Ve are Mercedes....Vas? it is breaking? PUT ZE DOUBLE ROW ON. Jah, engine is gut now."

There is about 20 people on challengertalk.com that have had the problem. I belive when engine goes from 4 to 8 cyl it shock loads the chain. Chain is not that stout looking.

It's probably just like any configuration of cam drive. It's almost never the belt or chain itself, it's another associated component causing the system to fail. Bad idler, tensioner, guide, etc.

Joel

There are a few engines notorious for chain problem, and not all the chains came from China.

Some came from the USA:
Ford modular V8
Ford Cologne V6
Chevy Caviler OHV

In Germany the 15 degree VW VR6 has plenty of chain failures

The Mitsubishi 4B11T has chain problems during some years, I don't know if related GEMA engines do too.

Remember the exact same engine is used across the entire line of V8 cars and trucks.

IMO it appears to be far less than 20 folks involved. A whole lot of "Internet Amplification".

Chrysler has a complicated VVT setup moving the cam that is in the drive sprocket, I'm sure that has something to do with this. But it may be a quality control issue with a bad part or it may just be a programming issue fixed with a PCM flash.

Aah, the PCM reflash that will stop it from going in MDS as often
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back