dodge 4.7 fram problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone with the dodge 4.7 have problems running a ph16? I changed oil and filter and suddenly have a pressure drop at idle---previously used a purolator classic without trouble after HG replacement... no problems until this oil/filter change

A friend of mine has a 2001 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L. They've always used PH16s & never had any problems. Are you using a different oil or different viscosity this time?

no. same oil just different filter.... hoping it's the sending unit... going to change sending unit and filter tomorrow... I've used the ph's without problems on the accord but not on a 4.7 and wasn't sure if it was picky

Hope you figure out what it is! What if you just changed the filter & topped up the lost oil? That's what I would try first. That's the easiest/cheapest thing to try first.

Put an oil pressure gauge on it and report the readings. Anything else is a guess and could end up wasting money, or worse.

The pressure drop on a clean FRAM filter is less than 1.5 psi. Something is wrong and it pays to investigate.

Most likely a failed sending unit...

HOWEVER...

That was the exact symptom I had 25 years ago (on two different occasions) with Fram PH series filters that drove me away from Fram forever until the Ultra came out. On cutting the filters, I found the media had collapsed into a wad all around the center tube, effectively sending everything through the bypass and knocking 14 PSI off the engine's delivered oil pressure (oil filter downstream of the relief/regulator valve).

Is the black bypass valve on the newer Frams the same material as the white, or just different in color?
I hope there is a real answer in this thread, as it always seems to be hit the filter maker as the culprit, and then nothing is said after. There have been several like that in the past year or so. But then the rumor floats around forever, even becoming true to some people.

Originally Posted By: joel95ex
anyone with the dodge 4.7 have problems running a ph16? I changed oil and filter and suddenly have a pressure drop at idle---previously used a purolator classic without trouble after HG replacement... no problems until this oil/filter change

Is the oil pressure sending unit before or after the oil filter on this Dodge?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I have just over 4k on my PH16. No issues whatsoever even on my picky Jeep.

The PH16 worked very well this summer on my picky Jeep also. There is nothing inherently bad about the filter that should cause you a problem, although it is possible you got a bad one. Since filters are so cheap I'd try changing that first and save the other one for later use if you deem it not to be the culprit.

I had read good things about the ph16... after years of hearing "ocod". I changed the sending unit and switched to an ultra and so far so good .... I'll update if anything else happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back