Dodge 318 magnum any issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 92 dakota with the 3.9 v-6 5 speed manual and a 96 ram with the 318 auto. I liked the 3.9 much more due to the towing i was doing at the time. The 3.9 was a solid engine that ran great while i had it and did not burn any oil at all. The 318 was an ok engine but it did burn a fair amount of oil around a quart per 2000 miles. The truck did not tow very good at all very doggy and constant down shifting. If you did not know it your would think it was a v-6. I would say the 318 in a 5 speed manual it would be much better.

They are sludge prone. But will last quite a lot of miles. I put over 500000 kms on a 96 dodge with a 318. Use a diesel oil like rotella to keep sludge to a minimum.

I've owned several older 318s and never had a problem with any of them. I'm not aware of any unusual issues with it; just change the oil and you should be good.

The 318 Magnum,not sure which years,is bad for plenum(belly pan)gaskets to go bad which causes oil to get into the intake.This causes pinging and oil use.

The reason for this is that the heads are iron and the intake is aluminum.The two metals contract etc. at different temps and that causes the intake gaskets to leak.

Do a search on the internet for Dodge plenum failures.

The only issues I'm aware of with these engines are wires cracking to the ignition system on/near back of engine. usually a simple fix.

My first dodge was an 89 with a 318. It had no guts but the motor was unkillable. There was some changes when the magnum badge went on it and it had more power,was reliable but became a sludger.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
My first dodge was an 89 with a 318. It had no guts but the motor was unkillable. There was some changes when the magnum badge went on it and it had more power,was reliable but became a sludger.

I dont think they are really a sludger.Some may have looked like a sludger but that was probably because of a failed plenum gasket.

Besides the plenum trouble,they are a reliable engine.

i've had a couple 5.2's and have had a couple dakotas and can say from experience that they are great trucks, my father in law has a 5.2 in his 01 ram and got 400k mi before needing a new engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Muskieteer
I had a 92 dakota with the 3.9 v-6 5 speed manual and a 96 ram with the 318 auto. I liked the 3.9 much more due to the towing i was doing at the time. The 3.9 was a solid engine that ran great while i had it and did not burn any oil at all. The 318 was an ok engine but it did burn a fair amount of oil around a quart per 2000 miles. The truck did not tow very good at all very doggy and constant down shifting. If you did not know it your would think it was a v-6. I would say the 318 in a 5 speed manual it would be much better.

the 3.9 is literally the 5.2 with 2 cyl. cut off. so quality wise there is no difference.

Fix the plenum gasket in the intake manifold when it blows out, and you should be good. When the gaskets blow, the engines tend to build up more crud in the oil, and they also tend to burn oil, lose power and get [censored] mpg. Fixing the gasket resolves the issues.

I put 126,000miles on a 95 Dakota 5.2L V8 5spd Manual. About 1/2 that mileage towing about 3000lbs, more or less.

Never any oil use and no real trouble with the truck at all.

We owned a 318 magnum in a Ram pickup, it was a boring but very reliable engine.

I'm sure it can haul a Dakota around pretty smartly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back