Do you warm up your car before taking off?

I was a mechanic back when the auto choke was used . Yes they worked pretty good if set right but they could be a real pain getting it right.
BTW Joe , the choke opens as it warms ;)

BTW Joe , the choke opens as it warms ;)
I knew it was one or the other. Those too young to know what a choke is probably won't care that l gave false information, those old enough probably knew what l meant.

A few people have mentioned a "cold temperature light" or something similar ? What is this ?

A few people have mentioned a "cold temperature light" or something similar ? What is this ?
In the case of my 2015 Subaru, there is not a conventional temperature guage on the dashboard. A blue light shaped like a thermometer lights up on dash when car is cold and disappears when engine is warm.
I would prefer a temperature guage.

Up until this year I spent the last 21 years (I'm 37 started driving at 16) driving a carbureted car all winter. The last one was an 83 Caprice for over 10 years. I can tell you from experience when the choke is adjusted properly they can drive away seconds after starting without stalling.
I can tell you from experience that if they aren't working then you're glad when it's a manual transmission. :)

My last carb vehicle was power nothing, and it was kinda "cool" to pull up to the light and have it stall out, yet have no other system on the car impacted. I went to move my truck the other day, it was parked on an incline and I wanted to roll down the hill w/o starting. Should be easy, right? Darn steering was simply beyond me, had to start it up just to move a couple feet.

The opinion of many here is that the OEM only cares about warranty period, then after that they are off the hook. It only has to last that long.

IMO they care a bit longer than that, but 10yr/150k is about all an OEM is after, when they design something. They might not be planning for it to die, somehow magically, at that mark--but they have no incentive making it last longer than that. [Passenger cars that is.]
They are required to warranty the one part that needs to warm up quickly, the catalytic converter. I have never had a modern engine wear out. Other parts yes, and have gotten ridden of carsbut most modern engines do not wear out.
Here in Bitog (the land of blanket statements) people only think about their own environment and don't realize it's not the same everywhere else. Start a vehicle at minus 20 and tell me it doesn't need at least a couple minutes of warm up for the engine and transmission and even the sometimes whining power steering pump.
So have you blown up a transmission in cold weather by not warming it up? Power steering pump? Your experience does not equal real world testing.

They are required to warranty the one part that needs to warm up quickly, the catalytic converter. I have never had a modern engine wear out. Other parts yes, and have gotten ridden of carsbut most modern engines do not wear out.

So have you blown up a transmission in cold weather by not warming it up? Power steering pump? Your experience does not equal real world testing.
No, all I was trying to say was that if you had experienced a start up and drive away immediately at temperatures and have any feel for machinery at all then you would understand and wouldn't even need to be asking this question right now.

I have driven away that early a few times because I was running late, but I don't try to make a habit of it anymore. The transmission feels the most affected because it takes a lot longer for the fluid to warm up.

We don't get many very cold days in Texas but when I lived in MD we would get cold days, snow etc. I would start the car let it run a few seconds then turn on any accessories needed like heated seats or rear defogger. I would let idle for a minute or 2 but no longer than 5 and then turn on the HVAC system and drive easily on my way until up to operating temp.

All I am saying is where is the evidence that driving off cold causes more wear? I’m not saying full throttle after 2 seconds, but a gentle drive until the car is warm as recommended. I did some quick reading and the numbers for emissions and fuel wastage is staggering.
I guess I have to ask then...what is the coldest temperature you have started a vehicle in? Maybe we need to post some COLD start videos.

Sorry for the quality of the videos, it was mainly for my own reference later on. That was with 0w30 synthetic oil.

It doesn't sound that terrible once running but if you try to move right away you can feel the transmission doesn't have the proper pressure, power steering is lazy, nothing feels happy until it's been running at least a few minutes. Not to mention it's going to fog up from your breath inside.

There's two things I have always done to my truck since it was new. If I go on a long journey, when I get where I'm going I let my truck idle for about a minute before shutting it off. And, I never start it or turn it off with the a/c on. ;)

Sorry for the quality of the videos, it was mainly for my own reference later on. That was with 0w30 synthetic oil.

It doesn't sound that terrible once running but if you try to move right away you can feel the transmission doesn't have the proper pressure, power steering is lazy, nothing feels happy until it's been running at least a few minutes. Not to mention it's going to fog up from your breath inside.

83 Chevy Caprice? If you want to make your point please use something made in this century.
I guess I have to ask then...what is the coldest temperature you have started a vehicle in? Maybe we need to post some COLD start videos.
Not sure you are understanding my point here. In cold weather I will let my car warm up. What I am trying to say is where is the proof that this is the best practice?

My bil bought a new 1966 Ford Galaxie. On start up a blue “cold” light in the dash panel would light up and stay on for a minute or so. I was 13 at the time but thought it odd.

In case anybody wants to know, I am way more concerned about making sure my tire temperature has risen at least 1 degree, meaning my tires have some temperature, before driving at freeway speeds.

83 Chevy Caprice? If you want to make your point please use something made in this century.

Not sure you are understanding my point here. In cold weather I will let my car warm up. What I am trying to say is where is the proof that this is the best practice?
You let your car warm up in the cold, yet you're asking me for proof? I don't really know what to say now.

I stated my opinion and that most of the people saying warmup is a waste are only thinking about their own personal situation in the warmer states and don't have a grasp of what a winter is like in Canada or the northern states.

If you don't agree with me, that's fine. My opinion will never change on this subject.

In case anybody wants to know, I am way more concerned about making sure my tire temperature has risen at least 1 degree, meaning my tires have some temperature, before driving at freeway speeds.
1 degree rise? What has that to do with anything? Going from 85F to 86F, 50F to 51F, 25F to 26F, -10F to -9F ... are all of them the same?

Back