Do you stretch any maintenance items beyond the OEM Service Interval?

I have never once "lubricated the prop shaft" on my RWD Tacoma; there are no zerk fittings. And if it's still running smooth and quiet at 178,000 miles then I'm not going to pull it apart until the U-joints actually need replacement... and they typically make noise to indicate that they are going out soon. I checked the U-joint flange bolts once, they were tighter than the torque spec and haven't touched them again aside from occasional driveline inspections. I run synthetic engine oil and typically go 6000-7000 miles between services (conventional is spec'd at 5000-mile intervals). Also I let the brake fluid go 4-5 years between flushes which is OK with my environment and typical usage.

I kept a spare new serpentine belt in the trunk of my Honda Civic. I never had to replace anything other than brakes and I was waiting for something else to happen before bringing it into a shop. After over 118,000 miles my car started to clunk when hitting bumps on the left side. To make a long story short its been in the shop awaiting parts. It needs 2 new front struts and the service advisor said something about a tie rod end, ball joint blah blah blah........ The car will be done Monday and the cost will be $1450.00 which is quite a lot more than I thought it would cost. It's been an awesome car other than the front end work and I hope the car keeps on ticking like a Timex watch. Oh...the $1450.00 included the serpentine belt replacement hahahahaha.

Oil filter I might put a bigger one on and go two OCIs, oil I change at the normal sched not severe, air and cab filter I almost always exceed the owner's manual, brake fluid I never change unless replacing a component makes the fluid easy to change and the fluid is older than 12 years, coolant I exceed the manual, trans fluid I partially change every 3-4 years or longer, plugs I exceed the owner's manual, spark wires I run until they give trouble and even them If I can stop a stray spark with electrical tape I'll do that, tire pressure I check more than the average person.

I have never once "lubricated the prop shaft" on my RWD Tacoma; there are no zerk fittings. And if it's still running smooth and quiet at 178,000 miles then I'm not going to pull it apart until the U-joints actually need replacement... and they typically make noise to indicate that they are going out soon. I checked the U-joint flange bolts once, they were tighter than the torque spec and haven't touched them again aside from occasional driveline inspections. I run synthetic engine oil and typically go 6000-7000 miles between services (conventional is spec'd at 5000-mile intervals). Also I let the brake fluid go 4-5 years between flushes which is OK with my environment and typical usage.

I have a customer that buys a new Taco every 4 years, they work for a courier service and put on 100k+ miles a year. After 4-5 years and 4-500k, they trade it in for a brand new model. Not once have they done things like "lube hinges" or "grease u-joints". I have yet to see a major failure on any of their trucks.

Back