Do you still wrench while injured?

Hurt my hand a few days ago and need to do rear drum brakes on a van. After 2 hours I got one side done using mostly the other hand. Not fun working brake springs on and off. Anybody else work on stuff while lame?

Yes I do. When I was finishing my basement years ago, I cut my thumb with a utility knife cutting drywall. It was a bad gash. I got some papertowels and electrical tape, stopped the bleeding and continued on.

My grip strength isn't that good these days, but I manage to make it work.

What were you doing with the drum brakes? I'm in process of removing the parking brake cables on the 97 Civic. Took about 30 mins to get off using a box end wrench to compress those fingers that enter the drum. I will try to get it back together tonight after dinner.

I would if it was my job...maybe. I try to stay on top things but would likely wait to do maintenance work or take it to someone if I could. It would also depend on the degree of difficulty. Hats off to you if you can pull it off. I did tape my thumb with duct tape to finish a job once. It's not like I had a broken or severely sprained hand.

In 1976 I broke my arm and while off work I change the cam and lifters in my bost.

Reactions: JC1
I've had this miserable experience twice: once when I ruptured my achilles tendon and was in the cast (oil change and washing the car), the other time was last year after tearing my ACL and replacement of the same - again, washing car and doing basic maintenance. Something I'd never wished even for my worst enemy

Yep. I have a bad back and knee from military injuries, but I still work on the cars occasionally. I just make sure to take my pain meds that day.

Yes I do!! Everything just takes so much longer to complete. My biggest recent challenge was doing a diff oil change. With torn rotator cuff and ripped ligaments in my right knee it took me over 4 hours!!

Yes I do, but I am very careful and thoughtful about everything that I do. Don't want to sideline myself with further injuries.

I usually wait until I'm mostly healed and feeling well before I grab a wrench. When I'm done with the job I start the process of healing all over again.

A bunch of years ago I was self employed and broke my right forearm . Thankfully, Im left handed . I was doing my best to repair generators . Thankfully I had a couple of competent helpers .

A bunch of years ago I was self employed and broke my right forearm . Thankfully, Im left handed . I was doing my best to repair generators . Thankfully I had a couple of competent helpers .
Less critical, a few years ago I broke my left ankle . I went to work as a building engineer on a knee scooter and built plenty of bicycle wheels .

Yes. Being the only employee I have no choice. I worked through a spranged knee and ankle.

When I was 15 I raced 3-wheelers. Showing off for a girl I broke my left arm. I had 2 more races to just finish to get a trophy.

The first race was a few days after I got my cast. I moved the clutch to the throttle side and with my left arm in a sling I raced and finished.

In fact I finished near the back of the pack and actually beat some other racers.

Then the next month I raced with my arm in a cast but was able to use it. I got 1st place! I still have the local newspaper article pic with me crossing the finish line somewhere.

Back