Do you still use checks?

I always tease my grandmother that one day she is going to hand someone a check and they won't even know what it is. She doesn't want to use a debit card because she worries about security. So instead she hands them a slip of paper with her name, address, phone number, account and routing numbers, and her signature..... 😆
Was the security issues ever explained to her? OR-most likely just "set in her ways".

I use checks to pay utilities and credit card bills. I absolutely hate to allow someone to auto debit my bank account. It takes an act of congress to stop a debit when you have a dispute with a auto debit you have allowed. You would think you could go the bank and tell them to stop one but that is not how it works. The bank will only stop the auto debit with the permission of the company involved.
I have found that out the hard also.

I use checks to pay utilities and credit card bills. I absolutely hate to allow someone to auto debit my bank account. It takes an act of congress to stop a debit when you have a dispute with a auto debit you have allowed. You would think you could go the bank and tell them to stop one but that is not how it works. The bank will only stop the auto debit with the permission of the company involved.
(y)

She's very much set in her ways. She's 83. Very stubborn. There is no amount of information or evidence that would ever change her mind about anything.
Yep-I get behind those type more than I like in the Supermarkets.

I send checks to charity donations. They will accept a credit card but you need to write it on their form and someone at the charity enters my credit card by into the system. I have no problem entering a credit card on a website, but not on a piece of paper mailed back and then who knows if the piece of paper will be properly shredded.

Until today, and for the past seven years, my use of checks to pay bills and make purchases was limited to one check per month to pay my apartment rent. Today that changed, and my rent is now automatically debited from my account. Even my housekeepers take some sort of automatic transfer. There's no longer a need to use those pesky slips of paper ... Halleluja!

Do you still use checks, and for what purpose? Just curious.
I still use checks for utility bills, credit card payments, mortgage, and such.

Some unusual payment like contractors that don't take credit card (or doesn't seem trust worthy) or stuff, but not regular payments. ACH transfer are usually available for tax, DMV, etc but not all. Probably about 1 check every 6 months or so, I'm still using the ones I printed in 1996.

Other than cashier's cheques I haven't written a cheque in probably 15 years. I very rarely see anyone pay with a check these days.

I always tease my grandmother that one day she is going to hand someone a check and they won't even know what it is. She doesn't want to use a debit card because she worries about security. So instead she hands them a slip of paper with her name, address, phone number, account and routing numbers, and her signature..... 😆
Debit cards go in ATM machines and are insecure. ATM cards go in ATM machines and are quite safe. My CU used to try to update my ATM card with a debit card. I'd take it back and yell at 'em til they replaced it. Anything with Master Card or Visa on it that doesn't have the protection of a credit card is a real bad deal.

My power company uses a 3rd party for online payments that charges a fee. I refuse to pay it since I drive by the office a few times a week and they have a drive thru window. So, a check they get. It really isn't the big deal some of you make it out to be.

She's very much set in her ways. She's 83. Very stubborn. There is no amount of information or evidence that would ever change her mind about anything.
If you had used Mobil 1 for 83 years and never had a problem and someone decides to tell you that you need to quit using it because it will ruin your engine, you (or I) would probably act the same way!:)

They no longer teach kids hand writing in school either.
Is this true or just regionally dependent? I have bad cursive skills; I got a "D" in handwriting despite my trying to be neat.
Those Capital B's and F's and G's were pretty fancy. Maybe I should have not chided the teacher by saying that we are all going to be typing into a computer in the near future. Visionary words uttered 54 years ago. - Ken

Back