Do you smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The smoking addiction is psychological as well as physical. Certain activities trigger the desire to smoke. My mother would motion to me that she wanted a cigarette when she started a phone conversation with a friend. It was automatic.

At 72, she was told that she must stop smoking. She stopped and that was that. I never heard her request a cigarette once or whine that she could not have one. It must have been tough as my father smoked until the day he died and that was four years after my mother quit smoking.

Before he died, my father told me that smoking cigarettes was the biggest regret of his life (well, outside of me).

Smoked for 5 months and that was it. Didn't care for it although after I drink a bit I will often want a cigarette.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX

Before he died, my father told me that smoking cigarettes was the biggest regret of his life (well, outside of me).

Man, that's cold.

Sounds like you made him smoke.
48.gif

The smoking addiction is psychological as well as physical.

Smoking addiction is for a good part a symptom of regression, manifesting itself in a compulsive oral fixation: seeking the comfort of sucking on a teat and all that. Of course, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. That's what Freud said. I wonder if he said the same about heroin, which just about as addictive as nicotine.
wink.gif

I guess we can add "if they weren't puffing on cigarettes" to the list of reasons for people's failures.

Wasn't Freud a cocaine addict?

Originally Posted By: moribundman

48.gif

I didn't start him on cigarettes, I did nothing to help him quit. I like to think that I'm half as decent as he was.

48.gif

I didn't start him on cigarettes, I did nothing to help him quit. I like to think that I'm half as decent as he was.

When I smoked fulltime(I do occasionally fall back into it) my son came up to me and said that I should quit. I then projected a scenario where I was absolutely too weak a personality to accomplish this by myself. I asked ..what if it required me to be dropped on a desert island with no tobacco on it for 90days and that it would cost $30k ..meaning that we would perhaps have to sacrifice MANY THINGS to accomplish this goal. I asked, "just how much is my life worth to you?" ..would he be willing to give up any and all benefits of our collective resources?

After I was done, he walked out and said, "Well, you should still quit"
grin2.gif
LOL.gif

48.gif

It was supposed to be a joke. Since you said you were your father's biggest regret (Which I hope not to be true!), I thought maybe he just had to smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back