Do you smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used to in college when drinking. Thought I was a cool guy's cool guy for smoking white owl cigars (with the demi-tips like FDR liked) or home rolled TOP tobacco, 36 cigs for 99 cents.

When I was a freshman in high school, I found a cig in school, took it home, and even though I was home alone, smoked it under my parents deck, and buried the butt!

Never got hooked, never had a favorite brand or anything. And my 1st purchase was over 18, "they" say 1 out of 10 wait that long, I wanted to prove them wrong.

Smoked in college, quit because I realized that it was pretty stupid, and there were more interesting ways to risk my health.
No problem quitting for me, either.
I will say that both Grandpa's smoked unfiltered Camels, Pall Mall's, or rolled their own, and each lived to be close to 80.
Of course, their "Jobs" consisted of actual physical work, and if either of them had more than 8-9% body fat, I'd be shocked.

I have never smoked but Tony did and he quit cold turkey. He had patches but he did not like using them. On the surface he was very calm but each morning when I took his coffee in he was angry with me. He later told me that he dreamed that I stole his cigarettes and smoked them. Quitting is very hard and I admire people that quit.

Originally Posted By: talker
didn't make you "kool" did it!

No, but they sure tasted good. If I ever went back it would be Kool Filter Kings for me.

I was talking to my grandfather the other day - he quit at 65 about ten years ago. Like me, cold turkey. He asked me if I still dreamed about them like he did. I still do. I don't expect that will change any time soon. It's an exercise in self-control to make yourself quit.

I'm rolling my own right now with batches of pipe tobacco I get from a local shop. Cigars occasionally as well; one of my best friends is an absolute smoking Nazi nowadays, but he still had a Black and Mild with us when we went up to visit him (for nostalgia's sake). His fiance is making him quit.
frown.gif

I started smoking when I was 13. I had my last cigarette ever on July 29th, 2002 at 4:58AM. I quit cold turkey, and it was quite difficult. I still occasionally have dreams about smoking.

Used to smoke Marlboro and Camel.

Good for you. I've helped friends quit before; most people seem to have a lot harder time with it than I do (I basically pick it back up again whenever I feel like it).

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
Nope. And two of my friends quit "cold turkey" without much fuss. I don't see why people make such a big deal about quitting.
21.gif

You don't see why people make such a big deal about it because you've never been in that position. Until you are you'll never understand. It's very difficult to quit for the majority of people. Yes, some people just stop and are fine but most aren't. I tried to stop last year and I didn't do well. I already have a very hot temper with a very short fuse, so I was a complete jerkoff to everyone. Woke up [censored] off and went to bed the same way. I plan on trying a different method sometime this year.

had maybe a pack a week at uni, quit 6 years ago.

now i have to put up with the stale stench of 3 smokers in closed office, who go outside to smoke, so i don't have to smell the fresh smoke, but rather their musty sweat and breath hours after ciggarette's in the closed aircon. suck!

Originally Posted By: hr1940
I have never smoked but Tony did and he quit cold turkey. He had patches but he did not like using them. On the surface he was very calm but each morning when I took his coffee in he was angry with me. He later told me that he dreamed that I stole his cigarettes and smoked them. Quitting is very hard and I admire people that quit.

Yes, it is very hard.

I smoked from the time I was 16 years old until my late 20's. Camel Light Wides were my smoke of choice. I quit cold turkey in 1999, and have not touched the cancer sticks since.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I smoked from the time I was 16 years old until my late 20's. Camel Light Wides were my smoke of choice. I quit cold turkey in 1999, and have not touched the cancer sticks since.

I smoked those a few times! They were obscene!
LOL.gif

The cool high school kids next door and all their friends smoke. I can hear them hacking away when they're outside.

I still do, but roll my own now. Just never really wanted to quit for some reason. I don't think I'm that bad. I run 3 miles in under 25 minutes. I know, that doesn't matter. Since I've been rolling my own, I've noticed that I don't smoke nearly as much, probably the nic. content is a little higher.

No, not a smoker (except for the pipe business; see that thread), but I'm surprised I never took it up. My boyhood fictional heroes, James Bond and Ellery Queen, smoked, and I watched my mother light up (Pall Malls) every day for years. Fortunately the kids I hung out with in junior high and high school weren't smokers.

Believe me, I've got the addictive personality. If I got started with it, I'd have a heck of a time stopping.

Never have...8 hours with 5 people on a Datsun 120Y while Dad chainsmoked cured me and my brother of ever trying it.

Percentage wise, I'm amazed how many women smoke.

Blokes seem to smoke "on the job", walking across site or somesuch. The women make it a social event, rounding up the mob, then coffee and cigarettes, 3-4 times a day.

The inhalers are great help in kicking the habit (for those who want to). The anxiety level hits you and you just "smokelessly smoke". Toke on the thing for a few minutes ..put it away. Eventually, you just stop replacing the nicotine inserts. The main thing I had trouble with was the oral habit. That and the "draw" aspect to it. The inhalers was something you could do at work ..anytime really. You've been putting your hand to your mouth and drawing for decades. That part of the habit can be worse than the nicotine withdrawal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back