Do you really need to change oil annually, if driven only 1000 miles a year?

wowthisexists

How long can you stretch the interval if you barely drive the car?
Car gets driven to Max temp every time it's driven
Just curious. Can you go 5 years at 1k a year?

Last edited:
I have two that are about 20-25 years old now, both with about 22,000 mi. on them. One’s a summer toy, the other a winter toy. One of them ran up barely 200 miles total over some years.

Been running two year change intervals on them for many years now, and they are spotless. They still behave as new vehicles. Just use a premium tier synthetic in them, and be sure to give them a 20 mile ‘exercise’ drive every 30-45 days to get the key fluids and components up to full temperature and keep the seals wet. And open the hood once back in the garage to prevent heat soaking the works. Zero problems.

UOAs are really not all that meaningful or worrying on low mileage intervals when adequate full temperature cycles are followed. Stopped doing them very early on. A waste of money.

I could probably run longer intervals, but I like to survey under the hood every two years just to see how everything else is doing.

If these types of vehicles develop or have any existing ‘weeps’ from lack of good exercise habits, or from extended age, one interval (or less) with a ‘high mileage’ formula will usually gently snug things back up. I’ve yet to have to do that with these two.

The biggest concern with low mileage vehicles is keeping the fuel fresh and conditioned as it sits in the tank. A little Techron is a good off-season treatment if it’s going to sit unused for more than a couple months.

Do the routine maintenance on time, not mileage, and it all works nicely.

That’s how I do it. Others may have their own ways.

That's what I do with my 1993 E350 bus that I turned into a camper. I only put 1000-1500 miles on it per year. End up changing about every 5 years. Seemed like a total waste to dump good old M! after a couple thousand miles.

I emailed both Mobil and Chevron with this very question. Mobil's response was "It would be a warranty issue." I interpreted that to mean there's nothing wrong with the oil. Chevron said that the additives could come out of solution. I've read on this forum that this isn't a problem because they redissolve.

How long have I had oil sitting on the shelf before I used it? Probably a while. Don't see much difference between sitting in a sump. I'm using the same tub of Kendell super blue wheel bearing grease that I bought in 1981 and I have never had a bearing failure. I'm not trying to save money. A waste is simply a waste.

No motor problems so far in the E350. Just had to change a leaky water pump though last summer. Other than that she runs and drives as she should.

Do you have another car that you could use that oil in? If so, my idea would be to change it every year but always drain it into a clean container and then put that 1000 mile oil into one of your other cars that you drive more often.

Way outside the box thinking ! But I (perhaps singularly) like it.

It’s a way to make sure there are no unintended consequences in leaving the oil to sit for 5 years, yet not waste the oil or $$$ by disposing of it prematurely.

I want you to lead the team figuring out how to:
A) achieve world peace,
B) rid the world of tyrants and despots (starts with a “Pu” and ends with a “tin”).
C) identify the aliens living among us
D) Unify the world towards a common goal ( any goal, just pick one and start working).

Name your price.

That’s a starter list, will add indefinitely

Z

Do you have another car that you could use that oil in? If so, my idea would be to change it every year but always drain it into a clean container and then put that 1000 mile oil into one of your other cars that you drive more often.

Way outside the box thinking ! But I (perhaps singularly) like it.

It’s a way to make sure there are no unintended consequences in leaving the oil to sit for 5 years, yet not waste the oil or $$$ by disposing of it prematurely.
Oil transplants....I kinda want to get a beater car and run only "used-but good" oil and a 20k mile oil filter and see how long this can go.

But....if you keep records and let a potential buyer of your car see that you run 5 yr. oil change intervals you might not get positive results?
I'm with you guys on not wasting $ & oil, maybe I can use my used oil in my mower! That would eliminate having a 3rd oil spec in my shop....

I'm with you guys on not wasting $ & oil, maybe I can use my used oil in my mower! That would eliminate having a 3rd oil spec in my shop....

3 in 1 oil

That’s what I can call Mobil1 0w.-40

I use it in machines that were manufactured 50+ years apart.
‘60’s era Fords & Shelby’s, 2000’s era Jaguars, and my Honda lawnmower, age about 13 years old .

Z

European spec for low mileage oil change is 2 years.

To keep BMW, Mercedes, VW, etc. factory warranty you only need to change every 2 years in Europe if you don't reach the required mileage.

If you only drive 1k miles a year I would say keep the oil in for 2 years minimum. You don't need an annual change.

European spec for low mileage oil change is 2 years.

To keep BMW, Mercedes, VW, etc. factory warranty you only need to change every 2 years in Europe if you don't reach the required mileage.

If you only drive 1k miles a year I would say keep the oil in for 2 years minimum. You don't need an annual change.

Once upon a time, BMW issued SI B 00 04 0 advising for annual oil changes on vehicles with low mileage:

SUBJECT
Low Mileage (Annual) Oil Services, Additional (Customer Pay) Oil Services

MODEL
All

SITUATION
A limited number of BMW owners accumulate very low mileage on their BMWs annually, in some situations insufficient for the Service Interval Indicator System to call for an Oil Service or Inspection. However, all BMWs should have an engine oil change at a minimum of once a year, regardless of whether synthetic or petroleum-based oil is used. Additionally, some owners prefer to change their oil more frequently than as called for by the Service Interval Indicator System.

Back